Chapter 11: The Fragment

Start from the beginning

Before she's able to think of anything, Lavern cranes his head back to glance at Malachi over his shoulder. The old man is walking with his head down, staring at his book as always. Only this time, his attention seems to be split between the book and the forest plains surrounding.

"What about you, old man? Do you think Naomi's got some ulterior motives for wanting to go to Arkala?" Lavern asks with cunning.

Malachi directs his attention to the trio ahead of him with a glare. "I think we should be traveling with more care. These parts are far too open. We're exposed here," he grumbles and looks back down at his book.

Nesosa cocks a brow. "What are ye goin' on about?" she asks.

Malachi sighs and motions around. "These plains. Anyone with eyes could see us, meaning so can our enemies. I just have this feeling like we're being watched..." he rumbles bleakly.

Lavern waves him off as he brings his arms back down. "You're just being paranoid, old man. Can't say I blame you after the whole... werewolf incident. But really, calm down. The only enemies we could possibly have out here are either a pack of stray wolves or a couple incompetent Latyrs. We'll be fine." He chuckles.

Malachi huffs and shakes his head. "Keep in mind what we have," he states.

Naomi looks back at him curiously. "The fragment?"

"Yes. It is one of the most rare and powerful items someone could find. Meaning we must handle it with extreme caution and care, and be sure to keep it out of the hands of any who would misuse it." He looks from her to Lavern. "You do still have it, right?" He narrows his eyes.

The Adaliaen rolls his eyes. "Yes, old man. I do. Just like I did the fifty other times you asked me since we left Balmoral. You really need to relax. We're fine." He shakes his head with a careless grin.

Malachi nods slowly. "Good... mind you do not lose it," he says. Naomi eyes the leather pouch on Lavern's belt that holds the fragment.

"What does it do exactly?" she asks and looks back at Malachi again.

He sighs. "Well... it opens the rifts, for one. Technically, only about three are needed to open the rifts, but one can be used to stabilize it and keep it from closing when someone goes through. But that only works if the power inside is released and moved into a person, who can then wield the power like any other class of magic," he explains.

Nesosa's attention piques and she glances back at Malachi. "Wait... the fragments kin give just anybody the ability tae use magic? Even if they weren't born as a Mar?" she questions.

Malachi shrugs. "Not exactly. The power that resides within the fragments is a forbidden class of magic. It is called Tene-Medeis, or 'Dark Magic'. It has only ever been known to be wielded by rogue Mars, but taking in that power often does nothing more than kill any mortal who tries. A person who manages to survive and carries on with this Tene-Medeis would be able to keep the rift open for someone to pass through without the rift closing behind them."

Lavern frowns. "So... let me get this straight; only three of these fragments are needed to open the rift, and yet we have to find them all? Why?"

Malachi grumbles and puts his book away. "Because we can't risk this power falling into the wrong hands. The fragments are the keys to the rift. If tampering with the barriers is what could lead to the destruction of Aramora, we must be sure the fragments and the Tene-Medeis inside remains in good hands," he explains.

Naomi nods slowly and turns forward again. "Got it... We won't let anything happen to it," she says.

Malachi nods back. "Mind that you don't."