Chapter 35- Still

Jake's POV
I woke up with a smile on my face, something that hasn't happened in a while. It was so good to be back.

I looked at Amy who was still sleeping, she was so beautiful and peaceful. I sight I missed while I was gone.

Just then, thanks to my good luck, I realized that I had a full bladder. I tried to pull my arm from Amy's grasp without her waking up, but she practically had a death grip on it. I was screwed. I had to yank my arm from her's fast, like a band-aid. She stirred.

I looked towards the front of the bed. It was open, but there was clothes and other belongings cluttered around that area. I looked towards the back of the bed. It was open! The ride was going to be bumpy, but worth it.

I slowly slid my way down trying my best not to disturb Amy. I was finally free!

I found some clothes of mine in the pile by the bed since the ones I wore the day before were bloody. Then I slowly made my way out.

"Hey, Jake." Rick said.

"Hey, Rick. Where's the bathroom?" I asked.

"Oh, I'll take ya!" A man in a jumpsuit called. "Name's Axel."

"Jake." I shook his hand, his grip was a little too tight for comfort.

"New here?" He asked with a crazy look on his face.

"To the prison, not the group."

"I see." He stared at me.

I stood there awkwardly for about a minute while he stared at me.

"Um, I really have to go to the bathroom." I told him.

"Ah, yes. Sorry." He apologized.

He led me to the bathroom. I stood in front of the stall.

"I can go by myself." I told him.

"I know." He said.

"I can find my way back."

"I know."

"Then what do you want?" I asked him, it all seemed strange.

"Ya know, she was supposed to be my piece of ass." He told me.

"Who?" I asked.

"That girl, with that kid. Amy, I think. But you just had to take her. Swoon her over with your good looks and young body."

My blood started to boil. "What the hell do you mean?"

"Amy was supposed to be mine, you know man, it was perfect."

"She's my wife!"

"I can make her a widow. Then she'll want someone to comfort her." He pulled a gun at me.

"At least give me the common decency and let me take one more piss before I die." I rose my hands in the air.

"Alright, go ahead. Don't try anything."

I started to go to the bathroom in the stall, trying to formulate a plan. Nothing was coming to mind. I was screwed. Amy, Tommy, I'm sorry...

I finished up and turned around to Axel still pointing the gun at me.

"I'm sorry for whatever I did to you."

"Yeah you are."

"Hey guys, what are y-" Rick came in and tackled Axel. But not fast enough...

Axel shot me in my right shoulder.

"Ahhh!" I screamed in agony.

I couldn't focus on anything else. My shoulder was flaring with pain. It hurt so fucking bad. Finally Rick came over.

"Jake! Jake!" He yelled.

I couldn't focus due to the immense pain. My eyes grew heavy and they finally shut until I was in complete blackness.

My whole life flashed before me, and even in the future, where every last member of the group died.

I jumped myself awake. My shoulder still hurt like a bitch but it was bandaged up. I had a handcuff on my arm. Smart, I thought, in case I turned, this would restrain me.

Amy was right beside me. She was sleeping, she must've been worried sick. I just came back and I already almost got killed.

That just goes to show you, anything you do in this situation can be a danger to your life.

"Rick?" I called.

He came running in. "Jake? You're alive!"

"Am I?" I joked. "Can I get these off?" I motioned towards the cuffs."

"Yeah, sure." He took out the key and unhooked them. "How do you feel?"

"Like shit." I told him.

He chuckled. "I understand that. I was shot too."

"Oh yeah? How?"

"I was a sheriff. There was a police chase, more guys in the car than we were told. The third guy came out and shot me. Funny thing is, when I woke up, that's when the world went to shit, and I was alone." He told me.

"Oh wow." Is all I could say.

Carol came rushing in. "Jake! You're up!"

"Yeah." I smiled.

"Rick, I need you. You're gonna want to see this."