Chapter 16 - AI's and Lullabies

Start from the beginning

After a few more agonizingly long minutes of fighting to keep Bruce's mind in charge, you hear the elevator doors open.

Thank God.

"Hey now," says Natasha's calming and reassuring voice from somewhere behind you. "Easy, big guy. I need you to relax for me," she says with a smile as she pushes you gently to the side, and her hand replaces yours on Bruce's green arm. 

"Look at me. Everything's okay. Everyone is safe," she says, placing a gentle hand on his cheek.

"SAFE?" grunts Bruce with a grimace as you can see his green receding. 

"Yeah, buddy. Safe. You can let go now, the sun's getting real low," she coos, as she pulls Bruce into her and begins running her fingers through his hair.

You watch as she calms him down, fully restoring the scientist to his natural state. You look on in wonder as Natasha - the assassin, killer, and spy - shows unmeasurable warmth and affection. You smile as Bruce naturally falls into her embrace and wraps his arms around her waist, burying his face in her neck as he takes long, steadying breaths to clear his mind.

You cast a glance over at Tony, who holds a similar expression of wonder.

You had figured out quite a long time ago that the feelings Natasha and Bruce hold for each other are more than simple friendship. But this...this is something entirely of its own.

And something you recognize. 

As you watch Natasha holding Bruce in her arms, utterly and entirely accepting of his green, for a moment you see yourself holding Loki in your arms - utterly and entirely accepting of his blue. 

You both love men that hide monsters within. And neither of you really believe they are monsters in the first place. 

In this moment, you feel a bond with Nat that you've never felt before. And it seems that she recognizes it too, as she lifts her gaze to find yours and gives you a gentle, reassuring smile.

After a moment, Bruce seems to realize what's going on and pulls away from Nat, his face a bright red. You glance at Nat and see only a flicker of hurt in her eyes before it is replaced with her normal Nat cheeriness. 

But you know her. You've invaded her emotions in the past. Nat's cheeriness is her own mask - like Loki's. An attempt to keep the pain that lingers in the darkest corners of her mind from fighting their way to the front. You know that in truth, Nat is nothing if not numb. Until she's with Bruce. You know that's the only time she's truly happy. And watching him continue to push her away breaks your heart. 

You walk over to Nat as Tony walks over to Bruce to make sure he's all right.

"Good job, Nat," you whisper as you take her hand. "You're the only one who can do that, you know."