Prologue

"Shit I'm late again." I cursed under my breath while running towards the elevator so that I can reach there before the door shuts.

Every day I feel like I'm running in some kind of a marathon and the elevator is the finishing line. I cheer in victory when I push past against people and reach the elevator in time. I put my hand between the closing door which earns me glares from people inside the elevator but it doesn't affect me much now. I'm kinda used to it.

Soon I arrived on 10th floor of the building and the elevator door revealed a big shiny wall with "Starlight Magazine" written on it. Starlight is one of the most renowned magazine of Ahmedabad and is loved for its bold and unique articles. This place has been my second home since past 3 years. I joined here as an intern and have rised upto an associate writer position. To be frank, this journey was not easy but my passion for writing and support of my work best friend Sara has made it all seem easier.

"You are late. Again." Sara glares at me from her desk as soon as I enter the office premises.

Speak of the devil and the devil shall appear.

"Er..Erm I woke up early but I got stuck in traffic." I tried to come up with a lame ass excuse and she gave me an "I know you are lying bitch" look.

"Fine I slept in, again." I raised my hands up in surrender and settled in my desk beside her.

"I knew it. By the way, Aaryan wants to see you in his office." She told me with a smug face.

"Why?" I asked her with wide eyes. "Is it because I'm late again?"

Aaryan is my boss. He is a very kind and charismatic person. I have learnt a lot from him since past three years. He always guides me in right direction whenever I get stuck. He is a great mentor which means he can be strict at times when it comes to tardiness.

"He didn't tell me why. Just told me to send you in his office whenever you come. Maybe he will finally fire you." She said jokingly which earned her a punch on her right arm.

"Oww, you hit like a man." She yelped in pain and nursed her arm while glaring at me.

"Then maybe you should keep your mouth shut." I retorted back with the matching glare.

"I was just joking, you idiot." She said while still nursing her arm. Such a baby.

"Well, don't joke about me getting fired." I deadpanned and she just sticked her tongue out at me like a child. Moron

I got up from my desk and made my way towards Aaryan's office. I knocked twice and entered when I heard a soft "Come in." As soon as I entered, I was graced with a beautiful view of Kankaria Lake which was visible from the big glass windows behind his desk. I wish I had an office like him. Before I start daydreaming again, I quickly snapped my gaze towards my boss. He was reading something on his laptop and was in a deep thought. I cleared my throat to get his attention and he immediately looked up at me and smiled.

He smiled. That is a good sign, right? Nobody smiles at you and tells you that you are fired. Unless that person is a psycho. But as far as I knew, Aaryan is not a psycho. Or is he?

"Are you just going to stare at me or will you take a seat so that we can start the meeting?" Fuck. I didn't realise that I was staring at him all this while. Now he must think that I'm a psycho. Way to go Aisha.

"Sorry I was just thinking about something and didn't realise I was staring at you." I apologized and took a seat in one of the chairs. God this is awkward.

He chuckled.

"I'm glad you're finding my awkwardness amusing" I muttered under my breath.