Chapter 22

Locklan

I am leaning against the wall while waiting for her, patiently. She should be here but until now she is still not here. Will she be late? I closed my eyes because I don't want to open it. My anxiety is starting to kick in, so I unsubconsciously fixed my glasses.

      "Wala pa rin ba si Nefeltri?" I heard Miss de Leon asked one of her student.

Right at this moment, I know that my anxiety about the situation was causing me to be unable to think properly. She won't left me hanging, I know. Or I am just thinking that to lessen my anxiety, fear and nervousness that I feel right now. Damn that woman. Nanatiling nakapikit pa rin ako kahit ramdam ko na ang kaba sa dibdib ko. She's coming, I trust her.

       "It is very amusing to see you are still calm, Zeigler." I heard a female voice in front of me.

I opened my eyes to look at the person in front of me even though I already knew who was it. I put both my hands in my pants pocket. "I am always calm, Miss." I lied.

Maybe I've learned to hide my anxiety better, because she didn't even notice how nervous I am right now. This anxiety is slowly killing me, every second, every minute until it's been over an hour waiting for her presence.

I'm not really fond of showing myself in the crowd because from my childhood until now, I have not liked to socialized with people. I just don't want to attached at them because I'm scared to left behind again, like what my mother did to me when I was young. And because of that, my father's resentment against my mother was heaped on me.

      "Well, that's sounds like you." She grinned but then I can sense something on her, she's tensed. "But I hope she won't disappoint me."

      "She won't." She won't, will she?

      "I know, because if she didn't come I know she had a valid reason." Miss de Leon says. She really trusted her, and so am I. "If that happens, she will call or text me."

      "Maybe she was just late, Miss." I replied.

She tapped my shoulder and smiled a little. "Okay, be ready. Ikaw na ang susunod."

Tumango ako sa kanya pero nanatiling nakasandal sa pader. Ilang minuto nalang at matatapos na ang performance ng nauna sa amin. The nervousness still lingered in my chest. I clenched my fists tightly.

      "Scheherazade, where are you?" I whispered into the air hoping she would hear it.

Narinig ko na ang sigawan, hiyawan at palakpakan ng mga tao dahil alam kong tapos ng mag-perform ang mga kasama ko. Inaasahan kong makakaabot siya, but I don't see any Scheherazade here to accompany me in the stage. And once again, I unsubconscious fixed my glasses.

She disappointed me.

I can't think properly. Hindi ako sanay sa ganito. I don't know what to do. Should I run away? Fuck, I'm not a coward. I was still leaning against the wall and kept my eyes closed. Ramdam ko ang pawis sa noo ko and even in the palm of my hand.

This time, I have no choice but to perform in front of so many people alone. Hindi ako pwedeng umatras dahil lang iniwan ako sa ere ng ka-partner ko. I have still my pride and dignity in myself. I took a deep breath, opened my eyes and stood up straight. I also wiped the sweat off my forehead. And there was a woman wearing her stoic face walking towards me. She's in a bad mood right now and I already know why.

      "Miss.." I greeted her.

     "Still calm, I see." I could feel the cold in her voice. She's really upset. "I can't believe it! She left us hanging. Alam niyang inaasahan ko siya pero hindi siya dumating. She didn't even call or text me that she couldn't come, edi sana nakapag-isip ako ng plan B or another option."