1

Hopefully this'll help with some confusion. I'll post it at the beginning of every chapter as a reminder

Mum = Amelia or Mila

Maman = Lara

I gritted my teeth to hold back the screams. It was pure agony having metal needles screeching next to you. I'd thrash around, but my struggles were in vain. There was now way I could escape this imprisonment. I saw the men gleaming at my failed attempts of escape.

One of the scientists, Dr. Abramovich, pulled the lever. I then felt the table lowering. I tried to prop myself up, but I was chained down. I gasped when I saw water flowing next to me. I began screaming and crying. I didn't want them drowning me again! When the water came up to my nose, I held my breath and squeezed my eyes tight.

I felt my hair floating in water. I counted while I tried to distract myself from the burning in my lungs. I got to 4 minutes and 36 seconds before I couldn't hold it anymore. My eyes shot open and I struggled against the restraints.

I kept screaming into the void, knowing the water was drowning out my cries. The boiling hot needles drilled through my skin all the way to my bones. I tried crying, but the water carried away my tears. It was excruciating. I couldn't hold my breath anymore and swallowed the water. I welcomed the water to flow down my throat.

I felt free, allowing myself to die. Unfortunately, I kept reviving and dying. The process was continual and it was agonizing knowing there was no peace. I could hear the laughter of the doctors as they extracted my bone marrow. Ahh! I need help! Somebody! Anybody! Mama-

"Zena!" I jolted awake. My maman let out a breath of relief. "You were hyperventilating and crying." She sighed. "Another nightmare?" She settled next to me.

"Ya." I mumbled and snuggled into her protective embrace. "I was remembering one of the experiments they did." I muttered.

"I'm so sorry I wasn't fast enough." I saw tears in her eyes. "I'm so sorry." She squeezed me tighter.

"You still saved me." I hugged her. "Can you stay with me?" I looked up with teary eyes.

"That shouldn't even be a question." She kissed my head and lulled me back to sleep.

I think my maman placed a sleeping spell over me since I fell into a peaceful bliss. She must also be performing calming spells because I didn't have any nightmares the rest of the night.

I woke up wrapped in my maman's embrace. She kissed the top of my head before untangling herself from me. I went to the bathroom to get ready. I easily did my business and exited. I was about to leave my room, but stopped. My maman waited the entire time to escort me downstairs.

I took a deep breath and took her hand. We slowly walked downstairs to the living room. I could hear the laughter and chatter die down the closer we got. I squeezed my maman's hand tighter. She gave me a smile in return and led me to the table. She guided me to an empty seat and sat next to me.

My granduncle/ Alpha/ Dante pushed a plate of food towards me. My head was still down. I was waiting for permission to eat. I didn't dare look up out of fear of a beating or some other type of torture.

"My little tesoro ." I glanced up to see my mum entering. "You do not need permission to do basic necessities here." She smiled and kneeled next to me. "You're free, my sweet Z." She kissed my hands.

"And you can have as much as your belly desires." I giggled when my maman tickled me.

I smiled and hesitantly picked up a fork. My moms smiled as I slowly ate the food. My maman quirked a brow, silently asking if the food was up to my standards. I shyly smiled and nodded. She clapped and smiled. Everyone began to slowly talk again.

I noticed someone staring at me, so I looked up. A boy with dark curls was smiling at me. He looked about my age. I knew he was one of my cousins, but who was he again? It started with an E. Edward? Edmund? No, it was italian... Edmundo? Edwardo? It does sound Italian if you just add an 'o' right?

"Pssts!" I looked at him. "Don't think you remember me but I'm Ellio." He whispered. "Remember me?" I gave him a small smile. "Okay, so no." He laughed. "Well, nice to meet you again." He gave me his hand which I timidly shook. "How you liking it back?" I nodded at his question. "Not much of a talker I see... you'll get there with me around. I mean... if you want me to shut up then you'll have to verbally tell me." He laughed.

"Son." We looked at Dante. "Leave her alone. She's been through enough and shouldn't have to put up with your antics." He lightly scolded. "Sorry about him, Z." I smiled back at him.

"Okay, silencio

"Okay, silencio." He held his hands up in mock surrender. "I see you've sided with my father against me. Understandable, but you're going to be begging to be around me. I'm the life of the party!" He exclaimed.

"More like the nuisance of the party." Domenico came and placed Ellio in a chokehold. "Tap out, puny boy." He chuckled when Ellio tried to break free of the hold. "Come on, shouldn't you be the machismo man." He laughed.

Ellio gave up and tapped Domenico's arm. Domenico laughed and released the boy. He then pulled up a seat across from me, pushing Ellio out the way. His eyes softened when they met mine. I could see guilt eating him alive. He sighed and opened his mouth to speak, but no words came out. I decided to reach across the table and lay a hand on his muscular arm.

The psychical touch broke him. He placed his hand on top of mine and gave me a soft smile. I felt my maman wrap and arm around me while my mum rested her head on my shoulder. I let out a deep breath. I think I'm safe again.