28. Starry Nights

The artwork above is not mine.

•༻☾☽༺•

    Azriel leaned against the warm stone walls of the river house. The moon was high overhead and Elain's party showed no signs of stopping any time soon. Mor was busily passing around drinks with Emerie at her side.

    The Illyrian female had stuck close to Mor most of the night. Azriel was finding it a little odd, but he said nothing. They all had their suspicions about Mor, but until she brought it up, they would say nothing. It was her secret to tell.

    Most everyone was still dancing. Feyre and Rhys were sitting down while Feyre rocked Nyx. Azriel assumed they'd be the first to retire for the night. He scanned the rest of the group curiously.

    Lucien and Elain were still dancing together. Nesta and Cassian were as well, although Cassian was being very cautious with his hands. Apparently, Nesta hadn't gotten all of the rose thorns out. Amren and Varian were a force to be reckoned with. They spun impossibly fast, matching each other's moves with vigor.

    He saw Gwyn near Mor and Emerie. She took two glasses and handed one to Seren. Seren asked a question and eyed the cup, then downed its contents. She shuddered and threw her head back with a laugh.

    Ours, the shadows whispered.

    "Hm. Feeling possessive?" Azriel replied. The shadows said that every time they saw Seren now.

    Our equal. Lady of Ashes. The Shadow's Flame. Seren Marzena. Ours.

    Seren's amber gaze flickered towards him. She said something to Gwyn and Mor. They refilled her cup and handed her another. Azriel straightened as she walked over to him.

    "Here. Mor knew what you liked." She held out the second cup.

    Azriel took it with a smile. "What did she give you?"

    Seren tilted her head and swirled the liquid in her cup. "I have no idea. It's good." She took a sip. "Do you think things will quiet down soon?"

    "With the amount of drinks Mor is giving out? Probably not." Seren grimaced. "You can always go in if you want. You don't have to stay the entire time."

    "I'll stay until Elain leaves," Seren replied.

    "That may be a while."

    "I'll manage. Training will be awful tomorrow."

    Azriel nodded sympathetically. "Drink a lot of water."

    "This is only my second drink. I don't plan on having another."

    "All the same."

    "Noted." Seren drank some more. Azriel drained his cup and set it aside. He turned away, watching the dancers. "Do you have parties like this a lot?"

    "No, only for birthdays and holidays. Starfall is my favorite night of the year."

    "What's that?"

    "A yearly migration of spirits. They're visible across the sky, glowing like stars. You can only see it in the Night Court."

    "When does it occur?"

    "Around the Spring Equinox. You arrived after it," Azriel explained. "We celebrate by going to the House of Wind and watching it on the balconies. We dance, feast, and drink. We just enjoy each other's company and watch the spirits cross the sky."