8. Sealed in Ink

Seren rested her chin in her palm, dozing lightly. The moon was high and a cool breeze blew into her room through an open window. Seren jerked awake yet again. She sighed and let her hands glow with warmth.

She hadn't had a decent sleep since arriving in the Night Court, it seemed. Guilt and fear haunted her every waking minute and she couldn't escape them. Even with her plan made, she'd felt little peace of mind.

Seren stood and untied the cords holding the balcony doors shut. She slipped outside and sat down on the bench. Her gaze shifted towards Azriel's room. No light came from the windows and his own balcony doors remained closed.

Flames leaped from her hands. They danced in the air, sparks flying on the wind. She summoned the stray sparks back, keeping them floating around her. She let the flames dissipate at last.

Seren inhaled deeply. The salty and lemony scent of Velaris was soothing. The tang reminded her of the Autumn Court, but this was more of a tart tang, whereas the Autumn Court's had been spicy. "Mother, I wish you could tell me what to do," Seren whispered.

"Do you speak of your own mother or the Mother?" The wind shifted, blowing the scent of night chilled mist and cedar towards her.

Seren crossed her arms and straightened. "Does it matter? I just need someone to give me answers."

"What kind of answers?"

She didn't look back, but she knew where he'd be sitting. He was likely on the roof, as he'd been the first time. "Many kinds."

"Are there any answers that I could give you?" Azriel asked.

Yes, her thoughts answered. Seren shoved them down. "No." The Shadowsinger remained silent. "Have your shadows told you anything about me, yet?"

"Yes. They tell me that you feel like a traitor."

Seren's breath caught. "That is true," she replied slowly.

"You aren't betraying the Autumn Court by finding refuge here. You've told us nothing that can be used against Beron." She could have wept with relief. Leather rustled as Azriel jumped off the roof. He landed on the balcony and joined her near the railing. "Have you told Beron anything that can be used against us?"

Her heart stopped altogether. He knows. He knows! Her mind screamed. He knows and he's going to kill me.

"I've told Beron nothing." Her voice shook slightly. Seren licked her lips, hoping he hadn't noticed. "I don't want him to find me."

"He won't. Beron might be cruel but I don't think he'd send someone after you if he knew how deep in the Night Court lands you'd gone."

"I'm not so certain."

She felt Azriel's gaze slide onto her. "I've known Beron longer than you have. He's no fool. As long as you stay in Velaris, you're safe."

I'm not safe anywhere. Everyone here is my enemy, whether they think they are or not. Seren covered her face with her hands.

"We won't hurt you. We're not like that." He touched her shoulder lightly.

"Yet you spy on me. Those maids spy on me. My room is in the same hallway as yours, Lucien's, and Cassian's. And while they might not be here all the time, you usually are. I know I was put there because you're capable of killing me if I prove to be a threat." Seren shrugged away from him.

Azriel straightened and shadows folded over him. "You should start coming to meals with us. We can't learn to trust you if you hide away in your room and only speak to Elain and Feyre." Seren didn't reply. She continued to stare at the Sidra, flowing in the distance. "Seren."