18. Unseen Taints

The artwork above is not mine.

•༻☾☽༺•

Azriel squared his shoulders as he followed Rhys and Cassian into a dark hut. The Illyrian males of the Ironcrest war-camp watched them with unmasked disdain. The females kept their gazes low. The sight of their clipped wings ignited a cold fire in Azriel's gut.

Inside the hut, Erebus, the Ironcrest war lord, lounged in a chair. Kallon, his son, accompanied him. "High Lord. Spymaster. Prince of Bastards," Erebus greeted them. "What brings you here?"

"We've come to inspect the new training routines I had asked you to implement," Rhys replied. "I saw no females in the training rings. Why not?"

"They won't touch a weapon," Erebus chuckled. "Believe me, we've tried to make them."

A growl rumbled in Cassian's throat. Shadows folded over Azriel. He listened, in case they spoke. They remained quiet, but wary. Rhys crossed his arms, glaring at the two Illyrians. He jerked a head back towards Cassian.

Cassian stormed towards them, his siphons glowing with a red light. He hauled Kallon out of his chair and pushed him towards the door. "Let's go."

"Where?" Kallon rolled his eyes, shoving Cassian's hand away.

"You know where." The door slammed shut behind them.

Erebus straightened. "You're only making things worse, Rhysand. The females were fine before you ordered them to be trained."

"They were far from fine and you know that as well as I do. I want them trained. You are under my command and you will do as I say," Rhys spat.

"What does Devlon have to say about these orders?" Azriel stiffened at the sneer in his voice.

"Devlon is wisely working to fulfill them."

Very slowly, Azriel thought to himself. And with an intolerable amount of misogyny. But the progress in Windhaven is significantly better than here.

Erebus folded his hands together. "I see. Unfortunately, there are no males here willing to train the females."

"You're the war lord," Azriel spoke at last. "If you went into the ring with them, your men would follow."

A wicked grin spread across Erebus' lips. "We'd have a fun time, but I can't say the same for the females."

Azriel bristled, inwardly cursing himself. "Cassian and I will be here for three days," Rhys said, his voice dangerously low. "I had better see every female in this camp out there training each morning."

"And if you don't?"

"You are not untouchable, Erebus, and I have many hands." Rhys started towards the door.

"I'm sure Amarantha enjoyed each and every one of those hands," Erebus drawled. "At least you can keep your whore mate entertained."

The cold fire sparked into a roaring blaze. Azriel lunged at Erebus, knocking him off his seat. They hit the ground and rolled. Azriel pinned Erebus down by the wing, angling Truth-Teller at his throat. "You will never speak about my High Lord and Lady like that again!" He hissed between his teeth.

Shadows whipped around his face, encapsulating him and the war lord. His siphons flickered with light. Magic thumped through his veins, begging to be released. With one thought, he could tear Erebus apart. The temptation was all too real. Fear glimmered in Erebus' eyes.