21. Avoiding Confrontation

Seren hummed and turned the page in her book. She was in the sitting room with Elain. Her friend was bent over a desk, writing another letter to Lucien. This one was much longer than the previous ones.

    Elain glanced up and tapped the pen against her chin. "Careful. You don't want the enchanted pen to attack you again," Seren laughed.

    "Maybe I do." Elain stuck her tongue out, then went back to writing.

    "What are you telling him this time?"

    "Mostly about my training. Mor says I'm doing very well. She wants to start me on blade work soon."

    "How much do you have to learn before you leave for the Spring Court?" Seren gasped, covering her mouth with a hand. I probably wasn't supposed to reveal that I knew that.

    "How did you...Azriel?" Elain cocked her head, curiously.

    "Yes. I don't know all the details, of course. I just know that you and Lucien were supposed to go to the Spring Court and Azriel didn't like that."

    "It's all right. Someone would have told you after I left anyway. I have no idea when we'll go. Rhys hasn't said anything more about it."

    "Do you want to go?"

    "Honestly," Elain rubbed her nose, thinking. "Yes, I do. I want to do more for my family. I want to be useful."

    "You are useful."

    "Not really. I'm not a warrior or a courtier like most of them. I'm not powerful. I'm not brave." Elain sighed and set down her pen. "I'm the sister who has done nothing."

    Seren marked her place before setting her book down. "It sounds to me like you compare yourself to them too much. They all have their roles. I'm sure you do too."

    "I don't think so. I'm just...here."

    "Well, then you're in the same situation as me. I don't have a purpose here other than training and making friends. I don't have a job or a mission." Seren made herself smile, even as her old guilt bubbled up. Not anymore, anyway. And I'm glad, she told herself firmly.

    "It's nice to know I'm not alone," Elain replied. "Do you think we could convince Azriel and Mor to let us train together today?"

    "I'm sure we could try." Seren knit her brows. "Actually, let me handle it."

    "All right." Elain turned back to her letter.

    Seren stroked her shadow, thinking. She made her decision and let her mental presence form. The flaming hand searched out Azriel's mind. It was a good distance away. She pulled herself towards him, concentrating. It became easier with each step.

    Her hand touched his shields and they opened a fraction. What is it? Azriel asked.

    Elain wants to train with me today.

    Oh. She sensed his hesitation. You need to work on blades more.

    I can do both. It's been a while since I practiced my hand to hand combat.

    All right. Go with Elain whenever her lesson begins. I'll meet with you afterwards.

    You aren't coming?

    Do you want me to?

    "Ser, what are you doing?" Seren glanced up. Elain was watching her, somewhat concerned. "You're off in your own little world."