Done

I silently wait behind Maddox as he tells Ruby we're here to visit Dax. Giving a sorrowful glance at my image, she frowns and nods, calling him in.

 Without uttering another word, Maddox grasped my unscathed hand and took us down the brightly lit hall way. The brightness, stung my eyes causing me to harshly squint as I held my bandaged hand securely up to my chest. 

Blinking a couple times, I felt Maddox tug me along until I found myself at a stop in front of an empty table.  Looking to my left,  I see Maddox give me a short nod. 

"He's not here?" I asked quietly. He shook his head as he mouthed for me to wait. 

Minutes passed as I sat there quietly in a daze. Every breathe I took a sharp pain would sting me back to life. 

Letting me know I was still alive. 

A single tear traveled down my right cheek as my heart ache. Everything hurt. 

Everything came crashing down on me exactly like it did when Arthur died. 

Everything resurfaced. 

My brain. My head. My eyes. My face. My chest. My legs. My body

Even my full healed tattoo felt painful. 

I closed my eyes as I rocked myself back and forth on the plastic chair. Just waiting. Hoping for the person I was waiting for to take my grief away, to take my pain.  

But he never came. 

"Are you hungry?" Maddox asked me on the way home. I shook my head as I stared out the window. I hear him sigh as we took a right turn, the opposite direction of home. 

I stayed quiet, not having the energy to speak.

  I give up. 

My mom doesn't want me. 

My dad tried to hurt me. 

Dax gave up on me.

 Arthur left me. 

Fenix left me too. 

I turned to face Maddox as he attentively drove to our unknown destination. I shouldn't feel alone with him by my side, but I do. 

 I lost me. 

Just like everybody else did. 

A male nurse came to the window and told us that Dax was being repulsive and rejecting to come. I nodded as I stared up at him expressionless. 

But tears.....

Tears couldn't get enough of me.  

One after the other they scrolled down my face like an open faucet as I stared up at him.  I need him the most right now more than anything and today he picked the day to become repulsive.  

I just needed to see him to feel better. 

And he couldn't even give me that much. 

I come back to my senses feeling the car stop. As I turned towards the windshield, I saw the tree the tree house was built on. I shook my head even though Maddox didn't say anything. 

"I'm not going up there" I say, fully turning my body over to the window. I let the side of my face, rest against the head rest as I saw the night slowly darken.   

Little bird shadows flew above trees, trying to get their nest before it became fully dark.  Bushes and leaves swayed side to side with the cold breeze from outside.