A Merry Little Christmas

December 25, 2020
I was startled to open my eyes in the morning and see JJ's silhouette standing by the window instead of lying next to me in bed. I rasped out, "Jay? Are you okay?"

She looked over her shoulder at me and whispered, "Come over here, it's snowing!" I flung the covers off my body and wrapped a blanket around my shoulders. I stepped over to her and wrapped it around her as well. I rested my head against her shoulder as she kissed my temple.

"Mmm it looks beautiful, Jen"

She sighed, "I know, right? Just makes you feel so peaceful..." At that exact moment our door slammed open and the boys immediately came crashing into us. JJ jokingly rolled her eyes, "Well there goes my peace."

Mikey was jumping up and down next to me, "Momma, momma it's Cwitmas! It's Cwitmas momma, come on!" He was pulling me toward the door by the corner of my blanket. I shook the makeshift garment off my shoulders and grabbed my robe off the back of our door. I draped it on and picked Mikey up so we could go into the living room. JJ followed behind us, holding Henry's hand. As soon as they saw the tree, they broke free from our grasp and almost tackled it.

Henry examined, "Santa came, mommy! Look!"

JJ laughed and took a seat on the couch, "Haha I see, buddy, I see..." I took out my phone and snapped a few pictures before the boys started tearing into the decorated packages that nearly covered our living room floor. I settled next to JJ on the couch and put my arm around her.

Michael was bouncing on his knees while holding a large box with his name on it, "Can I open it, momma?"

I waved my hand, "They're not gonna open themselves are they? Go head, guys!" They ripped open box after box and bag after bag, "thank you's" were heard left and right as wrapping paper was thrown all around. Every once in a while they'd come across a gift that was labeled "To Mommy" or "To Momma" and hand it over to us on the couch. Some of JJ's gifts included a few pairs of leggings, an Apple Watch, a Kate Spade shoulder bag, and I also got her a FabFitFun Box subscription. She gifted me an iPad Mini and Apple Pencil, a new pair of Vans, a Bose speaker, and a book about social psychology entitled The Social Animal by Elliot Aronson.

I tore the last piece of wrapping paper off the cover of the book and gushed, "Oooo The Social Animal! Did you overhear me talking about this with Reid?"

JJ smiled, "Hmm maybe... my ears are always extra alert around the holidays."

I kissed her on the forehead, "Thank you, baby"

"I actually have one more gift for you..."

"Oh, Jayje, you already did so much— I don't need anything else"

"I know you don't need it, but I know you're gonna flip," she got up from the couch and held her hands out to help me up too, "Let's go, come on!"

"Where are we going?"

"Your present isn't here— Derek's bringing it by, he should be here any second and I told him we'd meet him outside." We all put our slippers on and got in the elevator to go downstairs. Mikey, once again, insisted on being carried. Before we walked through the lobby and stepped out the front doors, JJ stopped me and tied a blindfold around my eyes.

"Is this really necessary, Jenny?"

"Yes, it makes it so much more fun!" She placed Michael back onto the ground and guided me outside. It had stopped snowing and none of it stuck to the ground, but it was still pretty cold. Once I was aware of my surroundings, I knew we must be close to wherever and whatever my gift was. Sure enough, I heard a "Woah!" come out of Henry's mouth followed by a "Shh!" from Derek.

"Morgan is that you? Please tell me that my wife didn't blow her savings with whatever this is."

"Mmm, no promises princess... C'mon, JJ, take her blindfold off!" I felt JJ's hand slide over my head and remove the piece fabric that had rendered me blind. I opened my eyes and screamed, "No fucking way!"

I ran my hand over the side of the bike in awe, "It's a Harley?" JJ nodded frantically, biting her lip

I ran my hand over the side of the bike in awe, "It's a Harley?" JJ nodded frantically, biting her lip. I was overjoyed but felt slightly guilty because of the expense, "Baby, this is too much you didn't have to do this for me!"

She came up behind me and wrapped her arms around my waist, "I know, but I wanted to... and hopefully you can give me a ride on it sometime, yeah?"

I turned around and kissed her, "Thank you, JJ, very very very much... this is just, it's— you're amazing, thank you" She kissed me again and pulled away a few seconds later. We turned around to find Derek holding Michael and showing Henry all the bells and whistles of the motorcycle.

I asked, "Derek did you ride this thing here?"

"Yeah. It handles pretty well, you'll like it"

"Yeah?" I was already drooling, "Hmm maybe I'll take this to work when we go back next week."

JJ put her hand on my chest, "Nope, I'm stopping you there... wait till it gets warmer."

I whined, "Whyyyy!"

"Because the roads are still icy and salted, do you want salt stains all over your bike already? Huh? It's an hour drive from here to Quantico— I do not want you doing that in these conditions. No. Wait a couple months."

I sighed and looked at Derek, "She buys me a Harley and then tells me I can't use it. This is torture." Henry laughed and asked if he could sit on the bike. I stepped over and helped him get on it before lifting Michael onto the back. JJ couldn't resist taking some pictures of them. When we started shivering JJ decided it was time to go back inside. I took the bow off the front of the bike and rode it into our parking garage. Our apartment building allocates two parking spots to all its residents, but JJ and I share a car so the other spot has gone to waste all this time. I pulled my new motorcycle into our second spot and was happy to finally see it filled. I got back into the elevator to ride up to our floor and spend the rest of the holiday with my family.