Statistics Aren't Comforting

December 18, 2020
Things are definitely getting very stressful in the Jareau household: it's been two weeks since JJ was artificially inseminated, our one-month anniversary is two days away, and Christmas is right around the corner. It's 4:00 on a Wednesday and JJ is itching to get home. We are supposed to pick up a couple pregnancy tests today and see if the procedure was successful.

Sitting on my desk talking to us, Emily asked "Can you tell this early?"

I answered for JJ, "Our clinic scheduled us at the 14-day mark, so apparently that's the standard timeframe post-IUI."

She turned to JJ, "Can you feel any pregnancy symptoms?"

"Yeah some cramps, but that doesn't necessarily mean I'm pregnant... also breast tenderness."

I winked, "I noticed that too, baby"

Emily gagged, "Y/N, control yourself at the workplace."

"What? Morgan can do it but I can't?"

JJ stepped in, "That's correct."

I huffed, "Hmph."

Emily went on, "So tell me more about this donor you picked."

"Well um, JJ was very judgmental and particular about what kind of guy we should be looking for, so it took some digging but we found a guy— 5' 08" with blue eyes and brown hair. He has a PhD in Mechanical Engineering and he likes to build and fix things in his spare time... uhhh what else? Oh, he described himself as a 'life-long learner' and 'optimist.'"

"Sounds like a good guy... and I hate most men." When it was time to leave an hour later JJ kept her arm hooked in mine when walking out of the bullpen, riding in the elevator, and on our way to the car. I could tell she was nervous about what would happen when we got home and she needed my support— being close and always needing to touch me was a sign she was anxious. Once we were in a steady rhythm on our drive home, I took one hand off the steering wheel and reached it over to her. She brought it into her lap and intertwined her fingers in mine.

"Jen whatever happens I'm here to support you, always."

"I know, baby. I-I'm scared though."

"Don't be. We can always go through another cycle if this one doesn't turn out the way we want to."

"Thank you, that makes me feel a little better... what were the IUI statistics again, doctor?"

I giggled at the use of my professional title, "Hehe, it was 15% success rate in the first cycle and 88% within the first three."

"15% doesn't seem like a lot."

"It's about 1 in 6... not great but could be a lot worse. Think happy thoughts."

"Statistics aren't very comforting."

"For your sake, I won't tell Reid you said that... bad enough you had to admit it to me"

"Hey, you guys were the STEM nerds— English and Communications is my mojo."

"That may be true but I know you didn't get hailed with Valedictorian just because you successfully analyzed Jane Eyre... there's some math and science aptitude in you somewhere."

"Being good in those areas of expertise made me Valedictorian, but I didn't have to like it... and for your information I loved Jane Eyre."

"Macbeth?"

"Yep, that too."

"Catcher in the Rye?"

"A classic."

"Lord of the Flies?"

She winced, "Mehhh, too chaotic... what about you?"

"I admired the choice of having hostility and chaos erupt from a group of boys. If Golding had written it about girls it wouldn't have been nearly as catastrophic. Anyway, I was more of an Odyssey connoisseur myself."

JJ rolled her eyes, "You and Reid should really talk more. I think you'd leave me and marry him instead if you realized how much you have in common with him."

"Ah maybe, but he probably doesn't give good head." JJ burst out laughing and by the time she caught her breath we were in our parking spot in the garage. When she remembered what awaited us inside, her smile faded.

"Damn it, I'm not ready for this."

"We're in this together, Jenny, it's gonna be all right." She held my hand tightly as we made the journey up to our apartment. We dumped our bags by the front door and immediately went into the bathroom with the pregnancy tests we picked up. I carefully took them out of the package while JJ paced around the bathroom.

"I'm nervous, I'm nervous, I'm nervous, I'm nervous, I'm—"

"Jayje! Honey, it's going to be okay. I promise you I'll find a way to get you pregnant no matter what. I'll grow a penis and set of testicles myself if that's what it takes."

"I know, I'm sorry— I'm just freaking out!"

"I understand don't worry," I handed her a test, "Okay here's the first one, ready?" She nodded and took it from me before sitting on the toilet. I handed her a second test and she repeated the process. If one was positive, we'd have to make sure a second test could confirm that. She handed both sticks back to me and pulled her pants up, continuing to pace back and forth. I faced away from the tests that were sitting on the counter to avoid seeing the little pink plus or minus before she did. We stood in an anxious silence for two minutes, waiting for the results. When my watch beeped we knew the time was up.

JJ ran over to the counter and picked up both sticks, "I'm..."
-
-
-
A/N- oooo is she preggo or nah??? place your bets, babies 🤪