We're Not So Different, You and Me

September 12, 2020
"I sooo don't miss that face," JJ said to Emily as she and I approached her desk. We saw Garcia and Hotch discussing something in his office, and by profiling their expressions we could tell a case was coming. 

I agreed with JJ, "No matter how many cases we solve, there's always more."

Emily's wit started to shine through, "Insert Dr. Reid's statistic about active serial killers at any given time here." There was no reply from Spencer.

JJ whistled in his direction, "... Spencerrrr," but he just held his finger up to silence her. I reached over and tilted the book he was reading so I could see the title.

My eyes lit up, "Mathematical Principles of Natural Philosophy by Isaac Newton, ooooh that's a good one!" Emily and JJ turned their heads to me so quickly I thought their necks might snap.

Then Emily started to crack up, "HA! You're a fucking dork, too! Aren't ya?"

Even though JJ agreed with Emily, she still switched to my side and hooked her arm around mine in defense, "Heyyyy, she may be a dork but you don't have to be a bully about it, Em."

"Oh come on, like you don't pick on Reid all the time with me and Morgan!"

"Yeah but Y/N's different. Leave her alone." Emily put her hands up in an "I surrender" motion and JJ leaned over to kiss my cheek. She mumbled into my ear, "You are a fucking dork, but you're my dork." I faked laughed and continued talking to Reid about his book until Hotch called us into the roundtable room to present the case.

Garcia took her place at the front of the room and started the presentation: "Okay, this is Ridge Canyon Lake in California's Angeles National Forest. It's popular destination for water sport enthusiasts. Unfortunately, some campers have discovered someone has chosen murder as their sport of choice. Three victims, all male, all found early this morning..."

The Next Day
"Help!" JJ, Hotch, and I heard a boy yelling near the bank of the lake, "Let go of me!" We saw our unsub holding the boy with a knife pressed against his neck.

I called out to him as we ran down the hill, "Chase Whitaker! FBl!"

"Stay back!"

"Let him go!"

"I can't."

JJ stepped in, "You hurt him, you won't be alive long enough to know what he has to say."

"I need answers."

Hotch took a turn next, "There are no answers, Chase. Nobody gets to know what happens when we die— That's why people have faith."

"Faith in what? My life has been one nightmare after another!"

"Chase, what happened to you as a boy wasn't fair, but neither is this. Let him go." He pushed the boy forward and then threw himself backwards into the murky water of the lake. We could see the water bubbling as he released all the oxygen in his lungs. JJ and Hotch pulled the boy to shore while I searched for the Chase's body in the water. I found him and called out to some officers, "I need a hand over here!" We dragged him onto the dock and I started CPR. It went on for about a minute or so as everyone watched in suspense; When I heard Chase start to cough I knew he was back.

He regained consciousness and looked up at me confused, "It's not your time, Chase. You're under arrest." I pulled him up and locked the handcuffs behind his back.

The officers led him away and Hotch offered his approval, "Nice work, Y/L/N."

"Thank you, sir." The three of us got into an SUV and headed back to the station to wrap up with the local law enforcement. About an hour later, we were on the airstrip ready to go on the jet. JJ took her spot next to me, as per usual, and Emily was seated across from us.

"Y/N I heard you had to give the guy CPR, don't tell me you did mouth-to-mouth?"

I winced, "Unfortunately, yes, I had to administer rescue breathing."

JJ mocked me under her breath, "Rescue breathing," and Emily was holding back a laugh.

"What? That's what it's called!" Lucky for me, Reid was just getting on the jet, "Reid!" I motioned for him to come over to us and asked him, "What's 'mouth-to-mouth' called?"

"It's commonly referred to as rescue breathing by most medical establishments and servers."

I looked at Emily and then at JJ, "See." Of course, Reid wasn't done.

"Interestingly enough, Johns Hopkins recently conducted a study about performing CPR and concluded that rescue breathing is actually only needed in specific cases."

"Yes, and I hate to say that near-drowning is one of those cases."

JJ turned to me, "Are there any other cases that aren't as dangerous? Maybe I can try one and have you give me mouth-to-mouth?"

Emily gagged in disgust, "You two need to get a room," and then got up to go sit by Morgan instead.

On the other hand, JJ's comment went right over Reid's head, "Rescue breathing, JJ. It's called rescue breathing... and why would you want to attempt a situation that can require CPR?"

JJ sighed, "Ugh, Reid you always ruin my sexy jokes."

Emily yelled from the back of the jet, "It wasn't that sexy, Jayje! Don't flatter yourself!" Feeling offended, Reid walked away to go sit by himself elsewhere on the jet. When the jet took off, I pulled out my in-flight entertainment: To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. JJ pulled out her phone to play Candy Crush, also a tasteful option. After about 30 minutes, I noticed we were the only ones awake.

I looked around the jet and then back to JJ, "Huh, everyone's asleep," she looked up above the seats to confirm what I was seeing, "Not tired, Jayje?"

"No are you, baby?" I shook my head no.

She slid her hand over to my thigh and squeezed it lightly before leaning into my ear, "Good," and biting my earlobe. This was gonna be a better flight than I thought.

A/N- This chapter contains dialogue from Season 7, Episode 6- "Epilogue" :)