~172~ I Can Be Friends With Whomever I Want

Emma's POV

It's been a couple days since Uncle Jake got the kids. He's back to work today. I'm glad...This place doesn't run as smoothly without him.

I only have one late morning class on Thursdays, so I always spend the rest of my day at the gym. I get in, and find Uncle Jake in his office.

"Hey Jake," I say as I plop down in a seat and hand him takeout from our favorite sandwich shop.

He looks at me, and smirks. "Man you're my favorite, Emmy. How could you have possibly known that I needed this today?" He asks as he roots in the bag and gets out his sandwich and chips.

I shrug as I get mine out. "First day back to work after becoming a dad is probably stressful," I say as I take a sip of my unsweet tea. He takes a drink of his.

"Yeah, it's sucking ass. I'm drowning in paperwork. I have got to get someone hired," he says, taking a huge bite of his sandwich. He must be starving.

"How's it going, Daddy Jake?" I smirk.

He gets a twinkle in his eye as he finishes chewing his ginormous bite of food.

He nods as he swallows. "It's hard. The kids are still nervous. I think I intimidate them."

"It's probably your deep voice and big muscles. When they get to know the real you, they will see that you're just a teddy bear."

He chuckles and shakes his head. "Er, I'd rather not be called a teddy bear. Otherwise no one will take me seriously as a kick-asser."

"Not sure that's a word, Uncle."

"Why not?"

"Because it's not."

He smirks. "How the hell do words become words then? Someone has to say them first."

"Ok, fine....You're a kick-asser."

"Damn straight," he nods as he finishes his sandwich and takes another drink.

I smirk as I reach in the bag and hand him the second sandwich I got him.

"Man you're my favorite," he says again, inhaling this one too.

"So you're good?" I ask softly.

He nods. "Zoe is the one I'm worried about. Ethan is talking and trying to form a relationship with us. Honestly, Zoe reminds me of you."

I smirk. "Then she'll be fine. She's got you for a dad."

He grabs my hand and squeezes it. Then he looks down before I can see tears filling his eyes.

"Alright, I've gotta get changed. I have a lesson with Owen in ten minutes."

"How's that going?"

"Good. It's not awkward. We're becoming friends."

"Emma," Jake says as I stand up.

"Yeah?"

He sighs. "I'm only going to say it once, and then I'll mind my own business."

I just nod, waiting for him to continue.

"It takes a special type of a man to be ok with his girl being friends with another guy. I will admit that I am not that man. Sarah doesn't have any guy friends, because I become a jealous maniac. How your mom has managed to stay friends with Alex, and become friends with Lance, without your dad being upset is beyond me. Just be careful. I can tell Trace doesn't like it."

I nod. "I love Trace"

"I know that. I'm not questioning your commitment. I'm just saying that you need to be careful. Be friends with who you want, but realize that Trace is having a problem with it."