~86~ Mean Something

Ellie's POV

I immediately get nervous. Mason just isn't acting right. Taylor and I both just look at him, waiting for him to speak.

Mason looks at the ground for a moment, and then looks back at us. "You guys have no idea what you have truly done for me. I know I said it a while back ago, but I was on the verge of filing for bankruptcy. You hated me, yet you allowed me to stay in your home. I honestly had no idea that people like you existed."

"The day that Sasha and I moved in, I had $3.23 in checking, and I needed to write a $1500 check in a week. My situation was dire. Because of you it's not now."

He looks at us hard before continuing.

"That's not even the part that truly matters to me. What matters to me is the love I have found here. I feel like I finally have a mom and a dad. This is the life I have wanted my entire life, and because of you, I have it. Because of you, my brother and sister have it. Because of you, my son has it."

He stops and puts his head down, starting to cry. Taylor squeezes my hand as we wait for him to continue.

"I told you before that I would not ask you for your daughter's hand until I could look you in the eyes and tell you that I could support her financially. Sir, I can now do that. I can support your daughter, not only emotionally, but financially too. I can support your grandson. I love them with my entire being, and I am asking for your blessing to marry her."

His gaze never waivers from Taylor when he says this. He stares at him, in the eyes, the entire time. I wipe a tear that escapes and wait for Taylor's answer.

Taylor is quiet for a moment, processing. Mason still hasn't broken eye contact with him.

Finally Taylor clears his throat. "I absolutely, beyond a shadow of a doubt, hated you." He says softly.

Mason just nods

"Mason, you have humbled me. You are one of the greatest men that I have ever known. You sacrificed everything for those kids. You got my daughter pregnant, and somehow you made it all work. You never left her side. You bent over backwards for her. I've watched you these last two years, and I've been in awe. Ellie and I have been in awe. You have been my son for a long time. I love you as my own, and I can honestly tell you that there is no one else that I would want for her. You have my blessing" Taylor says as he starts to cry.

Mason starts crying again as he stands up and walks over to Taylor. Taylor stands up and pulls him into a hug.

"I love you" Mason says.

"I love you too. Thank you for being worthy enough for her."

Mason pulls away and looks at me. "Do I have your blessing, Ellie?" He asks seriously, wiping his eyes.

I stand up and pull him into a hug. "A thousand times, yes" I cry, kissing his cheek.

His smile is huge.

"I'm going to spend the rest of my life making my home and family feel like this one. Sasha and Andrew deserve it. I deserve it. I promise you I'll treat her right."

Taylor hugs him again. "We know you will," he whispers.

When Mason goes back upstairs, I start to cry.

"What's wrong, baby girl?" He asks as he pulls me into a hug.

"They will be leaving now," I sob.

He kisses my head, but says nothing. We knew he wouldn't propose until he could afford a place to live on his own. He told us that several times. He obviously can now. My baby is getting married. She's getting married and leaving. How can one be so sad, yet so happy?"