~27~ Fixing It

Taylor's POV

Everybody has moments they regret. Things they wished they could do differently. You react in a way that was uncalled for and embarrassing; I've had a lot of those moments.

Unfortunately this incident ranks up in my top three.

Jessica will always be my top one moment I regret. Followed by the time I grabbed Ellie and bruised her.

This will probably forever hold the top third slot. As soon as the words were out of my mouth and I got in my car, I regretted them. I was too upset with her to go back and apologize. I took advantage of the fact that she always forgives. I took advantage of it hard and I'm ashamed of myself.

We leave the hotel and drive home separately. While I was checking out, the kid at the desk glares at Ellie. It's obvious she turned "Ellie Freeman" on him. Poor kid.

We get home and go inside. Emma is on the couch, but no one else is downstairs.

"Where's Luke, Emma Kate?" I ask with a small smile. She had obviously heard everything that happened. She isn't happy with me.

"In his room" she says with an attitude. I've got a lot of work to do.

I nod as I go up and knock on his door. "Hang on, Em. I'm changing" he says, sounding tired. He must
be about to go to bed.

He opens the door, wearing nothing but sweatpants. He was fully expecting Emma. The moment he sees me, his face changes. He's ecstatic that I'm here; He truly thought I left them. He's also EXTREMELY pissed at me. I've got a LOT of work to do.

He stares at me hard, with his hand still on the door handle.

"Can I come in, buddy?" I ask him sadly.

He says nothing as he moves to the side. I go in and shut the door behind me.

He just stands there awkwardly, waiting for me to say something.

I grab both of his hands in mine and look up at him. This kid is taller than me already, and I hate it.

I squeeze his hands and stare into his eyes. "Lucas, please forgive me" I say, fighting tears.

"You left" he says, breaking his hands away and turning around and sitting at his desk.

I go over and sit on the edge of his desk, and stare at him until he finally looks at me.

"I left for a couple of hours, because I was beyond upset. I said extremely hurtful things. I would never leave you. Or your mom. I think that you know that" I say gently.

A tear falls down his cheek. He doesn't know it. He saw his dad tell his mom their marriage was over. In the heat of the moment I said the worst thing possible, in front of my kid.

"I'm so damn proud of you. You're turning into the man I always hoped you would" I say, fighting tears again.

He looks at me, confused.

"You stood up for your mom. I was pissed, and you had enough of my shit. You and Mason. You had no idea that I wasn't going to turn my wrath on you. You didn't care. You just wanted me to leave your mom alone. You're such a good kid. No, you're such a good man, my son." I have to clear my throat. It's getting tight.

He looks down and his chin starts to quiver. "I thought you really left" he says, starting to cry.

I grab his arm and pull him up, wrapping my arms around him.

"I was jealous. I was embarrassed. I felt like I wasn't even a man. Like I wasn't good enough for your mom. It isn't an excuse, but that's my reason. I would NEVER leave. Hear me?" I ask, pulling away and making him look at me.