Jedi Training

Besides the campsite, the city stretched further into the cave through tunnels leading to higher levels of the walls. Havre was given a small room inside of one of the corridors, next to Cal's and Finn's. Despite the small size of the room, inside it was very comfortable, with a narrow bed, a small table and shelves carved out in the walls. The floor was laid out with a washed-out colorful rug, preventing the rock walls from cooling the room. Havre found it very calming and warm, so much different from the rooms she spent most of her life in.

Cal told her the day before that he would wake her up for their training, but Havre lay awake for a long time before he knocked on her door. For some reason, she feared that if she would close her eyes even for a moment, the Bogano Camp, the Jedi, and everyone else would disappear, turning to a distant dream. But a subtle knock on the door reassured her that it was all very real.

She walked out, dressed and with her sabers put in a bag she wore across her chest.

'Well, I see you were born ready.' Cal said jokingly in greetings. He was wearing a fresh pair of light robes, carrying his signature poncho on two straps on his shoulders like a backpack. Havre didn't know why, but somehow that morning the old man looked almost ten years younger.

They walked out into the city, already bustling with troopers on their morning run, and headed up onto the surface. Bogano had a warm and humid climate, but the vast canyons caused a pretty strong wind coming up to the platforms.

When they walked out of the hangar, Havre took a good look around. It was a bizarre experience, looking at the windy grass wetland plains around them, knowing an entire base was hundreds of meters under their feet. Havre thought that it really was the perfect hideout. The only thing that stood out on the horizon, in the distance what must have been several kilometers away, was a tall, golden tower looming against the backdrop of the big moon. Its bottom was vailed in the mist, but its top was clearly visible, reflecting the sunlight with its metal surface.

'The Shrine. That's where we're going.' Cal said, noticing her looking in that direction.

'Is it some kind of Jedi academy, or...?' Havre asked once they headed down the platform.

'Academy?' Cal repeated, surprised. 'Oh, no. Finn is my only Padawan.' he said. 'The Jedi are not an Order anymore. You're the second Force user Finn has met in his life.'

They headed forward through the grass, which left their robes wet with dew. Havre suddenly remembered the Urn that Cal had shown her on Flean.

'So he wasn't a part of the other group of Jedi? The one that was killed...?' she asked and Cal seemed to don't get what she meant by that right away.

'Oh, no,' He said after a moment. 'Finn came here only three years ago. He was once a stormtrooper or rather had trained to be one. He managed to escape the First Order with the help of a resistance pilot during one of his first missions. A friend of mine sensed there was something... special about him and sent Finn to me. I don't think he was happy about that at first, he wanted to join the army.' Cal paused for a moment. 'The Urn I showed you carried kyber crystals of an older generation of Padawans. They were killed when the person you know as Kylo Ren turned to the Dark Side.'

Havre felt her stomach turning when hearing his name and suddenly remembered Kylo's memories she saw in the forest. And at once, separate facts connected in her brain. So he was once a Jedi...

'Did he... Did he murder those children?' she asked after a moment of hesitation. Cal didn't answer right away and she felt waves of anxiety coming over her mind, the longer he didn't answer.

'No.' Cal said finally. 'He was the one who caused their death, yes, but it was an accident. Although I think he believes he murdered them.'

Havre looked down, pensive. She didn't ask any more questions. The thought of Kylo Ren evoked a strange feeling of guilt inside of her. Cal seemed to notice that her mood shifted because he also stayed silent.