13. Save me an Invite

Alvin pulled Brittany with him behind the school building in the bushes where no one could see them. "Alvin, what are you d-" "Shhh!" He cautioned while raising a finger up to her lips, which was his favourite way of getting her to shut up. She just glared at him, still demanding for answers but kept her mouth shut.

Before they could say anything, Miss Smith came out of the front door of the school and scanned around the area critically. Where was he hiding...

"Is everything okay, Beatrice?" The Principal asked from behind.

"I'm fine, I just......Thought I saw someone," She said.

Brittany refused to stay still behind the bushes, "What's going on Alvin. Why did pull me here?"She said raising her voice. He made some hushing noises,

"Calm down, this is the only time we could talk," he whisper shouted.

"In the bushes? How is this the only time-"He quickly silenced her yet again.

"Are you sure you saw someone?" The principal asked confused.

"Almost positive, but I'll just go back...for now," Miss Smith said taking a final look around before going through the door.

Brittany yanked Alvin's arm from her mouth,"Miss Smith really? What did you do this time Alvin. Please don't try to involve me in your plans," She frowned.

"I haven't done anything wrong. Not entirely. It's for the best intentions," He tried explaining.

"Why was miss Smith looking for you then. I know she had to be hunting for you" She said looking straight into his eyes, searching for lies.

"She's just mad I missed her snoozefest history lesson. It's no biggie, me and her will go back and forth, back and forth and she'll probably detain me, but that's besides the point. Fridays are busy days for the both of us but I needed this talk. You were free this period, so I had to find you," He said rolling his eyes at the mention of miss Smith's name before bringing his eyes straight to hers.

She thought it was truth, but her mind was still confused in thought, "Why were you looking for me so badly?" She said making her eyebrows crooked. He started rubbing his neck, "Well," His eyes facing anything but hers.

"Couldn't it wait?" She asked confused, still not very happy about her new shoes not touching the cement anymore.

"No!" He squeezed her hand distressed, and she stared at him before he gently released it, "I mean, it's urgent," He shrugged.

"What is it? Spit it out Alvin," She said almost running out of patience.

"You know about that skateboard competition the schools participating in two weeks," He asked, She nodded her head.

"We need you to be the chair of the organising committee,"

"Sorry but no, I don't want to spend my time doing that. I don't even like skateboarding. And at such short notice?" She questioned, folding her arms.

"Come on, Brittany," He pleadingly shook her shoulders "You love being responsible and in charge of everything. You're the freaking principal's assistant. This isn't for me. Your doing it for the school's needy skater comitee who can't manage properly on their own. You're exactly what they need," His blue eyes shined with desperation.

"But I don't have to do this. Don't try to say all those things to manipulate me, Alvin. I can't stand your mind games," She said shaking her head.

"This isn't about that at all you know Brit. It's about facts and what's on the ground. One fact being you'd make a much better chair than Derrick, wouldn't you Brit. Does that sound like manipulation to you?" He said in mock seriousness and she sighed, "No,"

"And this competition, means everything to us skaters. We want a win for the school, show some patriotism. And it won't involve too much of your time, the job's not that hard," Brittany brought her hands in front of her to stop him.

"Enough talking Alvin, I get it. I've got classes to head to soon but I'll chair the committee, okay? Although I'm not a fan of the sport. For the sake of school, I'll do it." She sighed. A conclusive sigh. "Just tell me where to find the rest of the committee,"

Alvin grinned, he was so happy he felt like hugging and squeezing her. Only felt it. Wouldn't do it. "The meetings are held at the gym afterschool most of the time. So I'm sure you can check in and start off from there. And the competition's on a Tuesday, conveniently three days after that new kid Chris Norris' party," He said relieved.

"What party? I know Chris, but not anything about a party," She asked confused. Alvin's eyes widened in astonishment.

"Excuse me, you, a literal living clichè popular girl, otherwise known as Brittany Miller. Does not know about a big party being thrown next week?" He said partly teasing and serious at the same time. She couldn't resist rolling her eyes, but her face still held a look of concern. Even she didn't understand how she didn't know about it.

"When did he send the invites? And he's new. How can he already be throwing a big party?" Brittany asked, changing her face to an angry looking one. But only to conceal the rapidly growing warm feeling she felt on it. For some reason, her embarrassment felt worse being exposed right in front of Alvin.

"They were sent today. And the kid's seriously rich. His house is enormous with a pool just as fancy. He said parents are cool with him having a pool party. So everyone embraced it with open arms," Alvin explained. Brittany frowned even more. She was about to ask another question when she felt a notification on her phone. She opened it and her eyes widened upon reading it.

"I just got invited to his party! Yes, what a relief! I was going to have an identity crisis," She admitted, closing her eyes and sighing in relief.

Alvin smirked amused, "That makes more sense. She's still a party queen after all,"

"I'm sooooo relieved. It was crazy I didn't get invited," She said still smiling.

"It's good that you did. You know even Simon got invited, not that that means anything to him. But that was seriously going to destroy your rep," He chuckled.

"Oh shut up, I got one. That could never happen," She said rolling eyes although she knew it was probably true.

Alvin laughed a bit, he turned his face to face her and she looked at him. They both jumped at the sound of the electric bell ringing but remembered how it signalled the next period soon.

"Oh, that's my que. Wish me luck trying to explain myself to Miss Smith. Thank you for agreeing to this, Brit! And sorry again for my, hehe, not so polite way of pulling you here," He said sheepishly. She rolled her eyes once more.

"Go Alvin. Just don't do it again," She said lightly pushing his shoulder. He gave a small nodd. He stood up and took his hat off in salute, "Farewell to the fabulous chair of both Partys and Skateboard contests,"

"Get out of here, go! You're gonna be late," She said sounding irritated. He didn't protest to it cause he walked off into the school. Brittany watched him leave, trying to keep a serious look on her face. But for some reason, uncontrollably broke into a smile. It must be because of the joy of receiving an invitation, or maybe Alvin's madness or maybe she was actually excited to be a chair for a committee. Whatever it was. She was happy at least. For once what Alvin had to say didn't make her furious to pieces.