chapter 1 | school

Start from the beginning

He was wearing a black t-shirt with ripped jeans and some type of Air Jordan's. His hair was black and curly but not too curly. Just right. Tan skin, gray eyes, tall, muscular, very muscular. If you look at him closely, you can see he has dark circles under his eyes as if he hadn't slept in days.

"Thank you for blessing us with your presence, Mr. Knight." Mrs. Anderson remarked.

"Of course, would you like me to enter the class again and bless you again? Clearly, you need it." Chase snapped back.

Everyone started to laugh at his response. I wonder what got him in a grumpy mood.

"Take a seat, right there by Ms. Martinez." She pointed to the chair beside me.

My heart started picking up its pace as I saw Chase's eyes scan over the classroom, before connecting with mine. I averted my eyes as I started fiddling with my fingers.

Calm down, Jasmin. Don't make a fool out of yourself.

He looked at Mrs. Anderson, giving her a look before walking towards the seat beside me. "Continue with the fucking lesson." He ordered. He sat down, on the chair beside me. I bit my lip as I tried to control my breathing.

I wasn't good with human interaction. I usually stay away from everyone. And, the guy sitting beside me was the one guy I thought I would never have the chance to sit beside.

Why does this always have to happen to me? Of course, the one guy I have a crush on, well had. Ever since he got a girlfriend, Olivia. I stopped and haven't looked at him since then till now. They have been in a relationship for about two years now, as far as I know. But whatever, not my business.

Jasmin, focus.

I started to doodle on my paper so I could stay distracted and not look at Chase. He didn't bother looking in my direction and I couldn't be more grateful.

The class ended and I was about to get up when my elbow hit Chase and I hissed because the bruises started to hurt again. I closed my eyes as I felt the pain go through my body.

"What the fuck?"

I didn't respond, I didn't know what to say. I just continue packing my stuff from the desk into my ripped backpack.

"You can't even apologize?" He questioned. "Fucking mannerless students."

I put my hair behind my ear and looked at him. He looked back at me before raising an eyebrow.

"I'm sorry," I muttered.

"What's that?" He pointed to the cut above my eyebrow.

I didn't respond and put my backpack on my shoulders. "Are you deaf or something?"

"It's nothing."

"Clearly it is something."

"A cut."

"How'd you get it?" I pushed in my chair and tried to walk away but he stepped in front of me.

"Can you please move out of my way? I'm getting late for my next class." I asked, trying to slow my breathing and prevent my stuttering.

"Answer me."

"Tried to thread my eyebrows." I lied.

"Liar," He stated. I looked back at his gray eyes and shook my head. "Who are you?"

"A student."

"No shit," His jaw ticked. "Why can't you just give a clear answer?"

"Why can't you stop asking questions?" I blurted.