Chapter 14

Darkness. Wherever you were, it was pitch black. And it was cold. You were laid on the floor and you couldn't move. Faintly, you heard water dripping rhythmically. It almost drove you crazy. The air smelt damp and like cold, winter wind. As you laid there, you realised you couldn't move. Attempting to thrash out your arms and legs, you came to the terrifying conclusion that you were completely paralysed, only able to move your eyes. Your terror was silent as you attempted to move, to scream, to do anything to escape this. Then you heard footsteps in the distance. Slow, menacing footsteps. It took a while for them to get close, but they paused at some point. Then a door you didn't even know was there flew open, exposing the room to a dim light. You were in that room again, the room where part of you had been taken from you. Your eyes adjusted and you saw that there was a dark figure stood in the doorway, then they suddenly lurched towards you, darkness filling your vision again.

A scream erupted from your mouth as you shot up in bed, sweat dripping down your forehead and tears running down your cheeks. You were surprised you hadn't pissed yourself. It had just been a nightmare. But the fear still filled the room, your heart still hammered and you still felt faint.
The silence that met you was slightly comforting, but then it confused you. Why hadn't Toby reacted to your scream? Sitting up properly, you looked around frantically to see you were alone. You felt your stomach drop, and you leapt to your feet, ignoring the swimming feeling in your head. Rushing to the door, you grabbed the door handle and rattled it. Locked. You sighed in relief. Then paused. Locked? Glancing around, you saw the key was gone. Why was it gone? Did Toby take it on accident?
Letting out a sigh, you headed to your window and took your water bottle off the windowsill, then took three big, refreshing gulps before setting it back down. Feeling slightly better, you turned back to your bed and began crawling back in. As you did so, a light knock on your door interrupted you. Feeling your heartbeat immediately quicken, you waited. They knocked again. Then again, louder this time.

"Y/N," the voice took a while for you to match it up to a person, but you were surprised when you did so. It was Dr. Smiley? "I reviewed your charts when you left, I seemed to have forgotten to give you your antibiotics for your infection."

"I have an infection?" You called back in confusion.

"Ah, yes. Your antibiotics were delivered to you through a tube while you were asleep, but you're awake now."

Fuck. You closed your eyes and cursed Toby. He took your goddamn key.

"I'm really sorry, but Toby decided it would be smart to take my key. I can't open the door." You approached the door and spoke to the doctor through it. There was a small pause, then you heard him sigh.

"I see. I'll go get Hoodie then, he should have a spare key. I would say wait here but... you aren't exactly going anywhere." Dr Smiley said, and you heard the smile in his voice.

As you heard his footsteps fade, you sat on the edge of your bed and stared at the wall. Hoodie had a spare key? Did that mean he could've come in any time he wanted? Every time you locked your door, alone in your room, under the impression you were safe. But from what you had scarcely seen of him, he didn't seem to have an interest in Masky's game or you at all. As these thoughts ran through your mind, you heard footsteps approaching again, and stood up. Hearing a key open the door, you smiled as it opened. Then felt a tang of anger as Toby entered.

"What the hell, Toby! You took my key!" You immediately tore into him, and he paused, his hand still on the door handle.

"Yeah?" Toby responded.

"Dr. Smiley needed to give me medication but I couldn't get it because of you! Why the hell did you take my key?" You snapped.

"I know what you've been up to while I've been away," Toby began slowly, "Opening doors, talking to random people. You paid Helen a visit at some point, even. I don't ever really remember giving you permission to do that."