nine

m i n u t e n i n e

River's POV

We're running out of time.

I hadn't seemed to realise time slipping right past us I was so caught up in her world, lost in a world where we were boundless beyond belief.

But this wasn't that world.

I looked into her hazel eyes, a mix of green and brown with the most delicate tint of gold.

I love her, but I don't think it's enough.

Sage and I. Maybe we were never meant to be soulmates, maybe we were something more than lovers but just slightly missed soulmates. Maybe life never intended us to be together forever, and I guess that's okay. I was more than thankful for her - my girl - because she taught me how to love, something everyone thought I wasn't capable of. Including myself.

Thanks to her light she allowed me to see the beauty in making human connections and due to this factor I will never be able to love another the way I love her.

I'd never really believed in soulmates and to be honest I still don't.

But I know my heart was completely and utterly devoted to her, something about her just captivated me and her existence became my single addiction.

So much for being heartless.

As she stared back at me with equal infatuation, my hands cupped her cheek as it traced the outline of her jaw before capturing her lips with my own. Her soft lips moved against my own as the light taste of her chocolate milkshake covered my tongue. My hands rubbed gently against her collar bone causing her to shiver, making me smile into the kiss.

As we finally pulled apart, she averted her gaze from my own and before I could stop it a small smirk made its way on to my face. She was more flushed and her cheeks were slightly more pink - definitely more pink.

Cute.

I tilted her chin upwards and her hazel eyes came into view.

"Don't tell me you've gone all shy on me now love,"

"Shut up," she mumbled as she hid her face in my chest causing a small laugh to fall from my lips.

I kissed the top her head as I rubbed up and down her back, and I then said the words I never thought I was capable of saying to another.

"I love you,"

- x -