Part 26

Tears falling from red rimmed eyes, she stares at the scene before her, understanding but confused, confused to why her precious Yoongi, the man who she thought was hers, was with another woman she hardly knows. Was her boyfriend perhaps not as loyal as she thought? I could only feel pity, and guilt as she ran towards the floor to ceiling window, shattering the stained glass into fragments that caught the moonlight, and illuminated the slashed clothing as she fell to the ground, bones cracking and body reshaping into a wolf. Landing on paws and not heeding the screams of Yoongi and I behind her, she sprints off into the forest, hind muscles rippling beneath sandy fur, streaked with coffee brown.

Jumping out of the window, Yoongi follows her in a love blinded sprint, following another broken hearted woman through the woods. Too shocked to move, I sit there, in the same position I was caught, before scrambling to my feet, standing in the frame of the window, silhouette fanning out behind me as coloured glass crunches into the soles of my already wounded feet. From here i can just make out the figures of them in a clearing, and the gasping sobs of her carrying across the summer's wind.

"You didn't tell me?"

Each word is punctuated by a soft hiccup as she tries to calm herself, only allowing tears to fall over a steel clad face.

"I didn't."

"You has a mate this whole time?"

At the word mate her voice hitched, the small gasping sob she held back loud in the quiet night, even the trees holding their swaying to listen.

"Yes."

"Did it not hurt you, to be with me?"

"...No..."

Yoongi's hesitation is all the confirmation she needed, knees collapsing beneath her as her arms wrapped around her torso, consoling herself in her love struck misery when the one she thought she had, wasn't. Gasping for breath between the agonising cries, she manages to sneak out words, choked out and accompanied by a pitiful gaze.

"Did you love me?"

For a moment Yoongi's monotonous facade seems to break, the first hints of remorse welling up in his dark eyes, hands he'd kept behind his back, shaking slightly, now reaching out to the broken figure on he ground, kneeling down as he did to me, taking her perfect face into his hands, kissing the tears from her face away, kissing her goodbye.

"I do."

"That's all i wanted."

Pulling herself from her lover's touch, her body contorts as she Shifts, leaving him on the ground, arms still outstretched to a phantom girl as another escaped from
his arms into the trees. Arms wrapping around his body, as if to mimic the human touch he so craved and needed, Yoongi stays in the forest clearing, sobbing softly through the night.

———

"Hey, Yoongi is outside if you want to see him."

Biting the skin around my nails, already pink and inflamed from anxious waiting, i smooth down the dress I'd picked days before as I got off the bed, glancing at my reflection in the mirror. I look fine. Hopefully the bags under my eyes don't show. And the scabbed over cuts on my hands and forearms. And the ill parlour of my skin. I look absolutely beautiful. Stunning in fact, if you could get over how my dress sagged, nothing there to fill it out.

"Hi, Tae-mi."

Snapping my head towards the doorframe, my throat tightens as I see Yoongi standing there, as pretty as ever, hair messily pushed back, collarbone displaying a gold necklace, exposed by the v-neck of his soft brown sweater, accompanied by grey slacks. He has the same reaction as me, mouth parting slightly as he takes me in, both of us standing breathless and yearning. His eyes meet mine, dark fiery orbs crackling like the dying embers of fire, taking me back to when we were so painfully oblivious and childishly in love.

"Are you two making babies in there or what, let's go!"

Pulling our gazes from each other, we hurry through the door and out of the house, not saying a word till we were in the car.

"Hi."

"Hi."

Yoongi offers a reassuring smile, and my nerves calm minutely, but i was still on edge. When i was around him, i couldn't help myself, always stumbling and falling into the bottomless pit of love but this time, i was going to take it slow. Let him show his love before mine.

The car starts, engine purring beneath creamy leather seats, and Yoongi drives, through the forest altogether and heading towards the city lights, their shine overshadowing the stars and the smoke shrouding the constellations. The air wasn't sweet and didn't faintly taste of pine trees, it was thick, smokey, and made me roll my window back up, retreating back into my seat as Yoongi took a nervous side glance towards me.

He didn't say anything, but his hand not so subtlety creeped from the wheel to mine, and i let him hold my hand loosely. After a time he withdrew it, understanding that i did not want this, at least not yet. Clearing his throat, he starts to speak, soft voice filling the empty silence pervading the car.

"Have you ever had Italian before?"

I look at him, slightly perplexed.

"Of course, i'm not an animal."

He laughs, the sound welcoming and light, so beguiling i wanted to join, but kept the hard facade.

"Well, then you'll like where i'm taking you then."

He drives deeper into this concrete jungle, something i've never seen before as my mum kept me far from humans, fearing for my safety. Even through the tinted windows, the bright lights flashing at every corner and billboards garish advertisements made my eyes squint. But it was beautiful. The hustle and bustle, people milling in and out of shops, bars, restaurants, each one clutching bags and phones to snap pictures and send, the beautifully decorated store fronts and pretty girls selling anything your heart could ever desire. Unfortunately those pretty girls could never give what i desired, however much i tried. Love wasn't something that could be bought.
————————————————————————————————————————————————
i have a caffeine addiction