Chapter 18: His Disappearance

When they got in, it was her dead, naked body on the bed. They scattered her hair with no sign of gunshot or bleeding except for the slight cut on her left foot and a piercing that was almost invisible on her heart. Well, one thing is for sure, Imade is dead, and the guy escaped. The stranger she let in. The guy she was madly in love with. Someone she just met on the internet and invited for a visit.

At first, Feyi felt the air whoosh out of her breath like someone had kicked her stomach.

“Imade! Imade oh...  my child!! she rushed to her daughter’s lifeless body on the bed. It was cold and still.” Someone who had died before 10:00 p.m. “Please talk to me?” Her mother cried out loud.

“Kehinde!” Feyi cried on the top of her lungs. Clutching her head, she tried to regain her breath, but it was pointless; the ground reeled before her as she fought to remain conscious.

“Get hold of yourself Mummy Imade.” The caretaker, who was standing right next to her, consoled.

Feyi turned to him, startled. She couldn’t believe what had just happened. Today is the 22nd of December. Just three days to Christmas.

“Out of three children... As if I had done no good in this life. Out of three children... Death had to take the last one? Who did I offend?” Another drop of tear lingered down her face. It was a pitiable state indeed.

Mr. Jembete and some neighbors laid Imade’s body back on the bed and covered her body with a blue blanket.

Doctor Alagbo, the landlord heard the news and came to witness it. “Omg! It’s unbelievably true. Someone that greeted me a week ago?”

“What wrong could she ever have done to deserve this?!” Imade’s mother cried. “Am I at fault? The last of my children is dead! Why is death so cruel?! And that stupid guy! I never trusted him for once. There’s no doubt that he used my precious daughter for ritual...”

Feyi grabbed her daughter’s body to her chest and cried painfully. Still hoping she might wake up, but all her tears and callings were like medicine after death... It was too late.

Mr. Jembete quickly informed the police and some officers who came to witness her death and investigate the issue.

Doctor Alagbo took her to the hospital for a blood test before her body was taken into the morgue. He wanted to know more about what led to her death. Was she drugged, poisoned, or what? There wasn’t any gunshot. Just a minor cut on her left foot.

After a while of observation, the result came out, and the secret was exposed. He read to everyone as the lab blood test results came out.

She was drugged with loads of sleeping sedatives and he injected her with a poisonous chemical. Only God knows what it was, but it makes one strong and weak till it finally leads to death." The landlord read out and a should of wailings followed.

It was just impossible. Someone did this right under their noses and he escaped unnoticed.

“The so-called mysterious guy must be an expert in this. Doctor Alagbo concluded. “Although I never met him for once, I’ll say, his visit here was well planned. Too bad, an angel-like lady like Imade fell into his trap.”

Just then, Iya Ibeta, and Cynthia, her cousin, came to see if the news they heard was true.

“Jesus! I just saw her four days ago!!” Cynthia cried. “I knew there was something off about that guy, but my sister wouldn’t listen. Sister Imade was so kind and hard-working. She had a smile on no matter what and she was an independent woman. Although she didn’t have it all. Although she’s not that wealthy or educated. Sister Imade was the best person I’ve ever known. She looked so happy with him and he killed her? What nonsense?! What have the police discovered so far?” She asked the caretaker.