Chapter 11; The Expert

Imade and Bamidele gently turned to the woman. She’s a short, elderly looking woman. People call her ‘Iya Ibetameaning, ‘mother of triplets.’

A slight look of embarrassment flashed in her eyes as she entered. Unexpected thoughts flooded her mind immediately.

‘One, why were two adults kissing in an open space like this? And two, who is he?’ she questioned as she observed the both of them.

Imade quickly pulled out of the chair. She stood up to attend to the woman. “Welcome ma, please have a seat.”

Iya Ibeta rolled her eyes at Imade as she sat on the white plastic chair in front of a large mirror. They glued the mirror to the wall; so that the customers could view themselves if the styles were pretty or not. No one ever complained, anyway.

Although Imade was feeling a little ashamed, she pretended as if nothing had happened. And nothing was happening before Iya Ibeta arrived.

Dele’s eyes caught the clock on the wall. It was 12:30 p.m.

“Umm... I’d have to go now.” Dele brought up.

“Okay, take the keys.” She handed the house keys to him.

“I would prepare lunch. I’d be back in less than an hour with some food for you.”

“Okay dear. Please take care.” She muttered to him with a smile. He smiled back at her before leaving, while Imade attended to Iya Ibeta.

She took out the hair shampoos, hair cream, hair stretcher, a drier, and a pink towel for the work. Imade started by washing her hair first with warm water and mild hair shampoo that had a cucumber mixed with a strawberry scent. Imade gently rubbed and scrubbed the old woman’s hair. Although her hair was fully grey, she still maintains with the way every young lady does.

Iya Ibeta’s children that were about Imade’s age were all married. Although Imade was her friend’s daughter, and she wanted the best for her, seeing her with another man (and still unmarried) was something wrong. It troubled her so much that she wanted to speak. The elderly woman enjoyed the warmth of the hair wash. While Imade brought her the hair drier to blow away the wetness in her hair, the woman closed her eyes, with a relaxed mind. After that, she brushed through Iya Ibeta’s hair till it was soft and dried, then she started stretching it out. Bit by bit.

“Imade, there’s something I want to ask you.” Iya Ibeta finally brought up. Breaking the silenced that was almost making her to sleep.

“Okay ma.” she answered, continuing the stretching.

“Who is that young man?”

“Which one, ma?” she asked, trying to pretend she don’t know what she was talking about.

“The one I met you with. The one that just left. Who is he?”

“His name is Dele. Bamidele Martins. He’s my friend from Lagos. He just came to visit me. We just met on a dating app and we’ve been close ever since.”

“Are you in love with him?”

Imade looked confused. She couldn’t understand why Iya Ibeta was so concerned. She just nodded in agreement.

“Have you introduced him to you family? I mean, have they met him yet?”

“No ma, he’s just a friend, and he just came for a visit. I mean... We have to spend time to know if we’re compatible or not.”

“Isn’t he ready for marriage or what is stopping you exactly? Doesn’t he love you or what?”

“No, Iya Ibeta. Don’t misunderstand. Dele is ready for marriage. In fact; he promised we would start our engagement preparation immediately he gets back to Lagos. Maybe by January, we’d do the engagement and the wedding would follow.” Imade pointed out, with a shy smile.