2~ The Escape

(Y/n) stood at the dow of the ship, eyeing the terrain as they neared the Avatars' "hiding place". She scanned for anything that could help her make an escape off the ship.

While Zuko was getting ready for battle, she went to her cabin as quickly and quietly as she could. She grabbed her bow, and her quiver full of arrows. She put the strap of the quiver across her body, and held the bow close to her side as she waited by her door.

Heavy metal footsteps stomped across the floor, and up the stairs. She ran her calloused fingers across the delicate etching in the wood of the bow.

"You aren't good enough yet." Her mother scolded.

"I'm trying my best, I just need more time.." (Y/n) softly answered.

"The world will not allow for more practice time, (Y/n)! You will not be given any second chances out there!"  Her mother whipped her head to look at her. "When I was your age I was top of my league. You barely make the top half."

Bullshit. (Y/n) knew she was one of the best archers and fighters in her league. Why didn't her parents know that?

"You have another training session this afternoon. No archery. Pure hand to hand combat." Her mother spoke with a cold tone and left her standing in the dim room by herself.

She hated the memories from home. But she always longed for them to change their minds, and finally show her respect and love. She wanted a normal, happy family. Though when you're from the Fire Nation, that seemed almost impossible.

The ship rocked and creaked, and she could hear ice cracking and moving under the pressure of the ship. She stumbled back as the ship carved its way through ice.

It was now or never.

She ran out of her cabin, careful to not let any warrior see or hear her. She ran down the dark and dimly lit hallway, until she reached the door that led to the small deck at the stern of the ship. Opening the door as quietly as she could, to avoid any loud creaks of the metal, she slipped onto the deck. The cold air bit at her nose and ears.

Spirits, she wished she had some warm clothes.

From a distance, she heard faint yells and screams as the ship pulled closer to the small village. The ice sheets cracked and moved in disarray as the ship barged through. She struggled to keep her footing as she waited for the right moment to jump off and make a break for it.

Where was she going to go? This small village? Where people could see that she was Fire Nation? with a weapon clearly on her, ready to attack? If she made herself available as a prisoner, maybe they'd take her. She didn't even know if the Water Tribe took prisoners.

The ship ran through the outer wall of the village, sending the snow tumbling down. She saw the faint figures of the villagers staring in shock at the ship. Mostly women and small children.

She winced. She knew Zuko wouldn't spare anyone if it meant finding the Avatar.

She heard the air escape from the walkway of the ship, and the loud mechanical scraping noises as it lowered to the ground.

Zuko and some of the warriors descended down the walkway, and she could hear his stern, faint voice interrogating the small village members.

Now or never.

She jumped off the edge of the ship, landing with an ungrateful thud into the snowbank. She was still outside the wall of the village.

As she walked around the wall, she could hear the roars of fire, gasps of fear, and the clanking of metal helmets. She knew Zuko was threatening them. She wanted to protect these people, but she knew that now was not the time.