40 ↝ Pink Panther

"We're running in the moonlight,
We're dancing in the open waves,
You're hangin' for a good time."
Moonlight — Chase Atlantic

I'm in the midst of mentally beating myself up when I hear a gentle knock on the door that almost startles me.

"Alex." Hunter's voice comes muffled from the other side. "Please open the door."

Inhaling a deep breath, I grit my teeth. I can't be upset. We're not dating. We're not exclusive.

Casual. We're casual.

Even if I have feelings that run a little deep, it doesn't automatically mean that he does too, and it doesn't mean he's mine or I'm his.

Stupid, stupid, stupid Alex.

Slowly, I get to my feet, pushing any signs of discomfort or hurt off my face. I reach for the doorknob. Forcing a nonchalant look on my face, I pull open the door. Hunter looks down at me, his expression a mix of worry and anxiety.

"Alex." He breathes out, his eyes rapidly going over me from tip to toe, studying me.

"Yeah?" I meet Hunter's eyes, swallowing the heaviness in my throat, trying to look as unbothered as possible.

"It's not what you think," Hunter says, slowly reaching for my hand cautiously. I let him take it, and he laces his fingers through mine.

"I didn't know she was going to sit on me. I was so shocked it took me a while to register what was happening. I pushed her off immediately."

The rush of relief that overtakes my body is alarming. I know he's not lying. Hunter is a straightforward, blunt person. If what happened was something else, he wouldn't have even bothered giving me an explanation or coming after me.

I exhale, nodding. "Oh, okay."

Hunter's shoulders sag with relief as he squeezes my hand. "I'm so sorry. I want you to know that you're the only girl I'm with right now, okay?"

My stomach does a little flip at that. I'm too stunned to say anything, so Hunter continues.

"I haven't been with anyone since that night you almost walked in on me and Maya."

My eyes snap up to his, and I don't even bother to hide my surprise. "Really?"

His expression softens, and he pulls me closer to him. "Really."

Hunter wraps his arms around my waist and pulls me into a hug, and my arms slink around his neck. I inhale his scent as I bury my face in his t-shirt, all the tension leaving my body as I relish in his arms, all the bitter feelings I was feeling just a few minutes ago draining out of my body.

When he pulls away, I smile up at him softly. From the corner of my eye, I can see Nessa and Leo stepping out of the common room.

"Alrighttt, I hate to break up this little reunion..." Nessa says as she approaches, and my cheeks heat as I detangle my hands from Hunter's neck and he releases my waist.

"Yeah?" I tilt my head at my best friend, stuffing my hands in my pockets.

"So," Nessa twists a lock of her hair around her finger. "My family is coming here to New York tomorrow for a wedding. And they have some dumb no kids policy so my brothers aren't going."

Leo, Hunter and I stare at her, waiting for her to continue.

"I can't babysit them because me and Miles made plans to go see his grandmother way before I knew about this. So... could the two of you watch them for me, if you could?" Nessa gestures between me and Hunter, smiling pleadingly. "Please?"