39 ↝ Concerts In Hell

"I want to put you into the spotlight,
If the world would only knows,
what you've been holding back,
Heart attacks every night."
Follow You — Imagine Dragons

"Hey," Kye plops face first down on my bed, snuggling my pillow

"Hey," Kye plops face first down on my bed, snuggling my pillow. "I'm so sleepy."

"And my bed is the only place in the whole world where you can sleep?" I chuckle, putting my pencil down and admiring my latest work. It's a rough sketch of an adorable Labrador puppy, and I've just finished drawing up the rough sketch before I paint it in. I double check the picture of the dog that I was sent to make sure it's just right.

I've started to take art commissions recently, to draw in some extra cash so I'm not entirely relying on my savings that I've made throughout high school or my Dad. So far, the money's pretty good and there's a steady flow. I've drawn everything from dogs, scenery, families, and even rocks for people.

"Yes. It's so comfy," Kye moans, his voice muffled because his face is buried in my pillow. "And smells like vanilla."

I hum in response, pushing my chair away from the table and getting to my feet as I make my way to our little kitchenette to grab some water. Kye suddenly lets out a dramatic gasp, and I almost drop my glass.

"Kye!" I yell, walking back to the room.

"Have you fucked on this bed? Have you changed the sheets? Am I sleeping on a sinner's bed?" He widens his eyes at me dramatically, and I laugh, shaking my head.

"No Kye, I have not had sex."

"Ever?"

My grin drains out of my face and I swallow, my body tensing as I look everywhere but him.

Kye sits up, his eyes on me. "Alex?"

"Huh?" I look at him, pushing all signs of discomfort off my face. "Sorry. Um, no. I haven't had sex on my bed. You're fine." I try to chuckle it off, but Kye's not having it. He slowly crosses the room, placing his hands gently on my shoulders.

"Alex. I saw you wince." He says softly, leading me towards the edge of Nessa's bed and sitting me on it next to him.

"I can tell that something's happened," Kye continues, watching me cautiously. "You don't have to tell me, but just know I'm here for you okay?"

My heart melts in my chest, and I look at him, studying the genuine worry on his face, his kind blue eyes. This is Kye, my best friend. He's always looked out for me and been there for me.

I can say it. I can talk about it. I'm strong enough now.

Ten minutes later, I've let everything out for him. The whole time, he listens in silence, his face stony. I've never seen Kye pissed or serious before.