the map room

I called a meeting as soon as I could but not with all the gladers, only a few. Gally eyed me angrily but didn't say anything. Newt, Thomas, Minho, Winston, Zart and I piled into the meeting hall. Minho passed Newt what we found in the griever and he inspected it.

"We found this. It was inside a griever." Thomas pointed at the object.

"These are the same letters we get on our supplies." Newt looked up at us all.

"Yeah, that's what I thought. Whoever put us here obviously made the grievers." I tried my best not to notice Gally's agitated face.

"This is the first real clue, the first anything you've found in over three years, right, Minho?" Thomas turned.

"Yep." Minho nodded from behind him.

"Newt, we gotta go back out there. Who knows where this might lead us?"

Gally stared intensely at Newt.

"You see what he's trying to do, right?" First he breaks our rules and then he tried to convince us to abandon them totally. The rules are the only thing that have ever held us together. Why now are we questioning in that?" Gally waved his hands around.

"Why do you care so much about the rules, Gally?" Thomas' voice got angrier.

"Because last time people broke them y/n got hurt!" He shouted loud enough the whole Glade could here.

I gasped and my eyes widened knowing what he was talking about. Thomas would be sure asking me about that later and I would have to relive the horrific memory. Everyone in the room knew about what happened except Thomas. Newt looked up at me, making sure I was okay and I nodded.

"S-sorry." Gally's voice hitched. "But if Alby was here, you know he'd agree with me. This shank needs to be punished." He gripped onto a beam. I could tell he was trying to ignore what he had just said.

Newt took a few moments to respond and passed Minho the device back.

"You're right. Thomas broke the rules. One night in the pit and no food."

"Oh, come on, Newt. One night in the pit? You think that's gonna stop him from going into the Maze?" Gally shook his head in disbelief.

"No. And we can't have non-runners running into the maze whether they feel like it." Newt inhaled, "So let's just make this official. Starting from tomorrow, you're a runner."

I wanted to celebrate because it was a good call on Newts behalf but I knew it would only make Gally angrier and I didn't want that.

"Wow." Gally murmured and walked for the door.

"Gall-" Fry said and I stuck my arm out trying to stop him.

"Nah, guys." He dismissed us and stormed out.

I looked at Newt and he smiled reassuringly, telling me to go. I nodded before running after my boyfriend.

Gally was sat in his tree. He hadn't been here in a while. His knees were tucked to his chest and his head was down. I clambered up and straddled the branch he was on.

"Hey, Gall." I whispered and he lifted his head. I expected there to be tears but there wasn't. Just anger.

"Go away, y/n."

"No."

"Go."

"No. Gally, I know your annoyed but maybe Thomas is right."

"He's not."

"And how do you know." I tilted my head.

"He broke the rules. Anyone who breaks the rules is always wrong."