THIRTY NINE

Stella Rogers

Stella Rogers

"I hope you're right about this, or we're gonna land a lot faster than you want to." Sam said, making me smile softly.

The Quinjet passed through a camouflage force field into Wakanda, and landed at the airfield outside the palace.

"Should we bow?" Bruce asked, and Rhodey nodded as if it were obviously.

"Yeah, he's a king."

I knew he was pranking Banner, since I'd met T'Challa before, and I gave him an amused look.

"Seems like I'm always thanking you for something." Steve said, shaking hands with T'Challa, and I was next.

Bruce bowed to him, but he gestured for him to stop.

"We don't do that here." T'Challa said, turning to look at me.

"So how big of an assault can we expect?

"I would say, incredibly large."

"How are we looking?" Nat asked, and T'Challa counted on his fingers.

"You will have my Kingsguard, the Border Tribe, the Dora Milaje, and-"

"A semi stable, hundred year old man." Bucky interrupted, and met Steve in a tight hug.

"How you been, Buck?"

"Not bad, for the end of the world." Bucky answered, letting go of Steve and making his way over to me while everyone got situated.

"How are you?" He asked, and I hugged him tightly, sighing in relief.

"Up until yesterday I was crying and eating ice cream on the couch, so this is a nice change of pace." I said, and Bucky smiled sadly at me.

"Let's get your mind off it." He said, ruffling my hair while I swatted his hand away, making him laugh.

We walked into Shuri's lab, and watched her scan the Stone with her kimoyo beads.

Vision was on the examination table, and Shuri studied the hologram projected over her palm.

"The structure is polymorphic."

"Right, we had to attach each neuron non-sequentially." Bruce said, making Shuri sigh.

"Why didn't you just reprogram the synapses to work collectively?"

"Because, we didn't think of it." Bruce smiled sheepishly, and she laughing lightly.

"I'm sure you did your best."

"Can you do it?" Wanda asked, and she nodded.

"Yes, but there are more than two trillion neurons here. One misalignment could cause a cascade of circuit failures." Shuri said, turning to look at T'Challa.