SIXTEEN

Stella Rogers

Stella Rogers

"He's all over the globe." Maria said, and I shared a nervous look with Steve.

That was fast.

"Robotics labs, weapons facilities, jet propulsion labs, reports of a metal man, or men, coming in and emptying the place."

"Fatalities?" Steve asked, and Maria looked at her clipboard.

"Only when engaged."

"People are still dying, though." I sighed, making Maria nod.

"It's mostly guys left in a fugue state going on about old memories, worst fears, and something too fast to see."

"Definitely the Maximoffs." I said, and Steve shrugged.

"Well, that makes sense he'd go to them, they have someone in common."

"Not anymore." Maria pointed out, handing Steve a tablet, and he showed it to me.

Strucker was dead.

"That's a negative, I answer to you. Yes, ma'am." I heard Clint say, and we stopped to get his attention.

"Barton, we might have something." Steve said, and I laughed.

"We definitely have something."

Clint bid farewell his wife, but that was a secret from the others, for now at least.

"Who was that?" Steve asked, and Clint shrugged.

"Girlfriend."

Sure it is, Barton.

After we gathered the rest of the team, Steve pulled up the photo of Strucker's body.

"What's this?" Tony asked, and Loki discreetly dragged his index finger down my forearm, locking his pinky in mine.

How affectionate of him.

"What's gotten into you?" I whispered, and Loki smirked.

"Feeling your skin touching mine gives me such a rush, doll."

"It's a message." Steve said, and I looked at Tony.

"Ultron killed Strucker."

"And he did a Banksy at the crime scene, just for us." Stark said, but no one was amused.

"This is a smokescreen." Nat said, and I gave her a confused look.

"In what way?" 

"Why send a message when you've just given a speech?" She asked me, and I tapped my chin in thought.

"Strucker knew something that Ultron wanted us to miss."

"Yeah, everything we had on Strucker has been erased." Nat said after looking at a computer screen, and I rolled my eyes.