TWENTY FOUR

Stella Rogers

Stella Rogers

I sat in the cathedral, packed with other mourners.

The choir was singing, and the pallbearers carried Peggy's coffin down the aisle, draped with the Union Jack.

My brother of course, was one of six, and his eyes were red and swollen.

I knew he'd been crying, it had been going on all day, and I shed a few tears along the way too.

Peggy was a wonderful, powerful and fiercely independent women, and it wasn't hard to understand what my brother saw in her.

Hell, I saw it too.

The framed photograph of Peggy was such a beautiful image of her, and it shine brightly by the candle burning next to it.

She lived a full life.

Steve took his seat next to me at the front of the church, and I took his hand in mine, intertwining our fingers.

"Are you alright?" I whispered, and he nodded, wiping a tear away with his free hand.

"I will be."

"And now, I would like to invite Sharon Carter to come up, and say a few words." The priest said, and I watched in awe as Agent Thirteen, Steve's neighbour from Washington DC, stepped up to the podium.

She locked eyes with me, and I nudged Steve, who wasn't paying attention.

"Steve, you'll never believe who just got up." I whispered, and he sighed, looking up to see her.

His breath hitched in his throat, and she cleared hers.

"Margaret Carter was known to most as a founder of Shield, but I just knew her as Aunt Peggy."

Oh, shit.

Steve realised exactly who Sharon was, and looked at me.

"Yeah, I didn't believe it at first either." I quietly laughed, and we turned back to her, giving her the respect she deserved during her speech.

"She had a photograph in her office. Aunt Peggy standing next to JFK, and as a kid, that was pretty cool, but it was a lot to live up to." She said, and I squeezed Steve's hand softly, knowing he would need the comfort.

"Which is why I never told anyone we were related." Sharon said, locking eyes with Steve.

Well, I guess that checks out.

"I asked her once how she managed to master diplomacy and espionage in a time when no one wanted to see a woman succeed at either." Sharon smiled softly, and I leaned forward in curiousity.

"She said 'compromise where you can, but where you can't, don't. Even if everyone is telling you that something wrong is something right, even if the whole world is telling you to move it is your duty to plant yourself like a tree, look them in they eye and say, no, you move'."