Chapter 16

Vanissa stood on guard behind the chairman, full of confidence. She understood one of the purposes why she is here aside from giving him security.

This is Rajive's world.

She sighed to release the lump in her chest. The people, the place, the music, everything screamed of great wealth and power. Dresses worth of gold. Expensive smiles. A difference of the world she lived in apart from him. This is the world she just can't barged in with who she is today. She needs will ang timing. She needs patience and take her time to know.

Dahan-dahang gumapang ang paningin niya patungo sa binata na kanina pa nakatitig sa kanya. The color of his eyes formed a rainbow in the lenses of his eyeglasses. She wanted to give him a smile but her lips were frozen. The girl beside him is staring at her with mix emotions and dominance. Telling her that this arena isn't going to be her territory, neither the man they both love and cherish.

"Chairman, gusto sana naming pag-usapan dito ngayon ang tungkol sa kasal nina Rajive at Sanya." Nagsalita si Stephen matapos ang mahabang kamustahan.

"Drop it," Rajive interrupted, clenching his jaws. "This isn't the proper place for it." He glanced back at her, worried.

"Rajive," Athrun growled in a  reprimanding tone.

Naghihimagsik na bumaling si Rajive sa kapatid. Gustong umapila ngunit nakatuon na kay Stephen ang atensiyon ng chairman.

"Why not, if this occasion can afford the arguments for the wedding preliminaries? But let's proceed with proper courtesy. I am not into this tradition, you are all aware of that."

Nagkatinginan sina Stephen at Lourell. Ang ibang nasa mesa ay kumumpas ng pagsalungat sa binuksan na usapan.

"My apology, chairman," Stephen said, conceding to continue.

"No need. We can have it discussed through a committee hearing in the council soon. I want you to enjoy your party, Stephen." Athrun navigated the conversation smoothly and no one tried to oppose because no one can't.

Hindi niya maiwasang mamangha. The power of words of the man sitting at the top of Andromida Conglomerate is irrevocable. On point and clear. Kahit siya na ang posisyon ay nasa panig nito ay nakadama ng piping takot.

"Acknowledging the arrival of first lady, Shannon Andromida, head of the Avila clan."

Umingay ang paligid at natanaw ni Vanissa ang pagpasok ng entourage ni Safhire Andromida. The first lady of the Andromida Conglomerate and the head of the Avilas. Ecorted by some of Athrun's renowned brothers, Vladimir, Vhendice, Ramses, and Alexial. She is no doubt a celebrity of the celebrities. Walking gracefully across the room with her endearing smile. Her mermaid tulle gown is provocative and the sexy red beadings breathed her elegance.

"Hello, everyone!"

The crowd were on their feet, even the chairman came out of his seat and went his way to meet his wife. Safhire clung to him after a swift kiss on his lips that brought out a genuine smile. Inulan ng pagbati ang babae mula sa mga kaanak nito at ibang mga bisita.

The presence of the first lady just raised the game. But instead of thinking to give up, Vanissa's determination fueled. This powerful couple didn't mean to be a competition but an inspiration for her to strive. She just have to give what she is capable of.

RAJIVE stayed in the corner, drinking the wine in his glass and pinning his eyes on Vanissa. He cracked a boyish smile knowing that her eyes are following him too. Umalis siya saglit dahil sa tawag ni Rayven at hindi muna bumalik sa head table.

Naroon ang mga kapatid niya, nag-uusap tungkol sa politika at mga bagong habulan sa world market.
Hindi sumali sa grupo si Safhire. Nasa isa pang presidential table ang hipag niya kasama sina Sanya at ang iba nitong mga kaanak na babae.