Chapter 2: A Son's Love

"Who are you?" Thranduil spoke so darkly as if he was replying with a threat. The maiden paused and swallowed deeply, the blade still locked directly above her throat. She looked to him, her eyes wisping with vulnerability as her breath drew deeper into obscurity.

King Thranduil did not know this woman and where she had come from, but the softness in her eyes made him push the blade tighter against her throat. "I asked you a question," Thranduil said bitterly, nudging his head higher.

Legolas stepped forward drawing in his father's attention. "Father, is she-"

"No, she is not," Thranduil cut his son short of words knowing what he was about to ask. "Your mother is gone." Thranduil averted his vision back to the maiden, briskly swinging the blade to her left cheek where strands of silk like hair fell. 

He traced the stands of hair corroding her skin with the blade all the way down to the middle of her neck. He placed the blade beside her throat and pushed her hair away wanting to view her face clearly.

Thranduil's eyes did not escape the elf's beauty as everyone in the room remained silent. The maiden turned her head to the side ever so slightly trying to avoid the blade her king held within his palm.

"That is impossible. You cannot be her," Thranduil now withdrew the blade and stepped back.

"Yes, she does look like her, doesn't she?" Gandalf spoke walking to Thranduil. "She possess her beauty and perhaps her spirit, but you can tell she is not her."

"What is the meaning of this?" Legolas questioned, reclaiming his blade from his father who had handed it to him.

"I do not know," Gandalf hissed, now making his way to the elf maiden. "She refuses to speak regarding the battle that took place. She is too scared to tell me who she is or why she happened to be there," Gandalf paused now standing beside the elf.

Thranduil turned his back to them and walked away quietly. "And why have you brought her here?" Thranduil spoke nonchalantly.

"Isn't it obvious?" Gandalf stepped forward nudging his staff to the ground. "I want you to take her in. Make her see and live the life an elf should live. Then maybe she might be willing to inform us about what had happened during the battle and to why she of all elves was their prisoner."

"And why should I do that?" Thranduil's head bounced uncaringly to the incontrovertible fact that he did not care for this elf. So why should he welcome her into his home? His mind pondered over the trivial question.

"Because if the orcs want her, wouldn't you?" Gandalf lifted his free hand into the air.

"Do not be mistaken, Mithrandir. I do not care for this maiden nor will I have my kingdom be in ruin for one elf we clearly know nothing about," Thranduil's voice ran cold as the elf maiden stared to the ground, knowing  she could not do anything more than just that.

"Yes. We know nothing about her," Legolas approached Thranduil. "All the more reason why she should stay." Legolas commented, knowing that he had rendered his father silent. He looked into Thranduil's eyes full of drive to keep this maiden here and his father could see it.

"Very well," Thranduil exhaled after a brief moment of silence, extending his fingers to his thigh silently. Everyone's expressions lightened softly until Thranduil's pace towards the door slugged into a slow brisk. He tilted his head to the side so Legolas could see his face, but Thranduil himself could not see his sons. "But you my son will carry out this decision you made. You will care for her for she is now under you," Thranduil murmured, finally leaving the room.

Everyone lowered their heads witnessing Thranduil exit, but silence still echoed throughout the halls.

Gandalf the white cleared his voice unraveling the atmosphere. "Now that things are settled I shall be on my way, but I will visit again soon," Gandalf said tugging his hat as he started to exit the room.

"Gandalf," Legolas called out before he could have vanished from the prince's eyesight’s.

"Yes, my boy?" Gandalf turned around finding Legolas in a state so curious and so simple minded his thoughts could not even come to pass. Gandalf saw a shard of worry amongst his eyes and huffed out a sigh so effortless no one noticed.

"Nothing reveals itself, but in all due time you will find what was in need of searching for," Gandalf forced a smile and ushered himself out knowing that Legolas was capable of getting through this.

Legolas quickly lifted his head and rushed in the same direction his father went.

"Umm.." the elf maiden stepped forward. "Thank you," she said bowing her head slightly making Legolas pause before he could leave. 

"Do not be mistaken. I did not do it for you...," he stood silently long enough for the maiden to look up to him making the prince rush his tone. "I did it for my father," Legolas muttered escaping the maidens view and briskly walked to his father.

In a few seconds he caught up to him. Thranduil paused as soon as he sensed his son halt behind him.

"Don't you have other matters to attend to? For example, making your guest feel welcomed," Thranduil's voice seemed as cold as ever, but something laid hidden beneath his lips.

"Why did you do that?" Legolas questioned with bitterness as if it were corroding his tender voice.

"Do what?" Thranduil didn't move, but looked to the side with every fiber in his body, knowing what his son had meant. His son's words pierced his inner facade and he couldn't hide what his son and only son could see among everyone. Bitter sorrow.

"I've known you for thousands of years, father. When have I ever seen you make that face," Legolas stood still looking at nothing more than his father's back, glistening in utter starlight. He waited for his father’s response, but got nothing but Thranduil glimpsing once more to him, twisting his head slightly and left down the halls saying nothing more.

Legolas tormented by what he said sighed in grief, feeling guilt warp his mind. He turned sideways to the hard paved wooden walls where lanterns crept and perched itself up while lights of glittering suns lit both pathways.

He staggered back knowing he was in no position to say that to his father and it sank in, fading every bit of resistance he had making him peer up to the hard soiled ceiling and in a few moments he scrunched  his fists tight and headed back for the maiden, acting unaffected by what had just occurred.

"Legolas," Tauriel exhaled, bowing once more to the prince who entered the room. He walked regal as he should, but stopped before the elfish maiden who had turned to meet his gaze.

"Come I will show you to your room," Legolas uttered moving about.

"Ummm...." she paused awkward in her stance as chivalry took hold of her eyes making them glisten. Legolas halted and turned back to her finding her all flustered up and innocent.

"What's wrong?" he called seeing the maiden wisp her chin lower into the darkness. "Would you prefer the dungeons?" Legolas echoed brimming his eyebrows further to his eyes. His voice still gentle, yet it whistled blows of irritation and everyone in the chamber could tell Legolas and Thranduil's conversation did not go so well.

"No. It's just," she said all flustered. She took a deep breath and continued, not allowing her nerved to take hold of her actions. "If it would not be a bother," she said trying to stay calm. "My lord," her voice started to quiver as her lips trembled bowing slightly in front of Legolas, who seemed to have no interest whatsoever at her display of respect.

"Tauriel," Legolas called out. "Take her to her room. She will not leave it until I or my father says so."

"Yes."

"Both of you," Legolas called out to the two guards situated on both sides opposite to the maiden. "You will stay in front of her room at all times. No one goes in and no one comes out," Legolas ordered and in a few moments he was gone.

Tauriel triapsed her eyesight to the ground and sighed uncontrollably as her shoulders move restlessly. The guards turned to her in a questionable manner, but she dismissed them. "Go now," he voice loudened at the thought of her king and prince act differently.

Who is this maiden who stirred every bit of confusion to our king and prince's heart? Who is this lady who our king called his wife?