T H I R T Y T W O - Erik

The scent of fear filled the air surrounding Ariana even though she did not yet see what I knew headed straight for us

The scent of fear filled the air surrounding Ariana even though she did not yet see what I knew headed straight for us. Silently she stood behind me while I faced where they approached, cursing myself for not bringing my sword. I had not expected Ariana or anyone to be with me, so I left everything at home. The sword I carried was not to protect myself, but those around me. Sometimes fighting with fire was riskier than using a blade.

A chuckle sounded before me, followed by Hedrek stepping out from behind a tree. His blond hair was loose and flowing down to his middle back. His cold gaze settled on me. Five other Lysians also came into view. If I was on my own, it would have been no trouble handling them all. But having Ariana with me changed everything.

"Who do we have here?" Hedrek tilted his head as if to better view the Bavadrin standing behind me.

I shifted, blocking her from his view.

Damn it.

He tisked softly. "What are you doing with that little thing, Erik? A girl like that could easily be turned to ash." Then, holding out his hand, fire moved over his fingertips.

Ariana's breath hitched behind me.

"Go back to the hole you crawled out of, and I will let you live to see another day," I stated flatly.

Hedrek had been born outside of the main Lysian group. His great-grandfather and a few others left long ago, exiled to live on the edge of our lands where the mountains met the ocean. I frequently monitored their movements in the past, and if any of them dared to come down from the hills, I killed them. I had honed many of my skills by taking care of them over the years. Never had they stood a chance. The exiled Lysians had turned me into a proper killer. Mercy was never given to someone who threatened everything I cared most for.

However, since my father's death, I began focusing on retrieving my sister and our stolen conjurors. My attention shifted, and that had opened a window for the exiled pack. I never expected for them to so quickly become so bold as to wander so close to the main city. I had been reckless, and after this day, my errors would be amended. They would think long and hard before stepping foot off of their mountain again.

Hedrek smirked. "Where is the fun in that?" He took a couple of steps to the side to gain a better view of Ariana. "It has been a while since you have come to massacre our family, Erik. I was beginning to wonder if something had happened to you. But I now see that a young Bavadrin seems to have drawn your attention elsewhere." His gaze moved to her. "I suppose I owe you thanks, girl."

A growl ripped through my throat, bringing his attention back to me.

He smiled. "I'll tell you what, seeing as the two of us can burn everyone else here to a crisp, I'll make you a promise. I won't use my conjuring if you agree not to as well. Swear it on our families."

It was his lucky day and his best opportunity at finally actually standing a chance against me, no matter how tiny that chance was.

By the looks of his men, they were all trained fighters. Each of them bore swords and weapons on their hips, while I had none. Conjuring would have been the easiest way to end them all, but that would have also left Ariana exposed to the flames. By my standing between Ariana and Hedrek, he knew I wished for harm not to come to her, and that was something he would use to his advantage. Fire could only be controlled so much, and I was uncertain whether I could protect her from his flames. Though I had no doubts about my strengths, the five with Hedrek only had me to concern themselves with. It would not be easy to take them all down myself.