S E V E N T E E N - Ariana

I was still seething with anger as we finally entered the Lysian lands

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

I was still seething with anger as we finally entered the Lysian lands. The fury held me in its grip, a relentless force fueled by the knowledge that I had left my people vulnerable to death with every farming party that dared to venture out of the city walls.

Edda wisely gave me space, though she found entertainment during her time riding with Kole. It surprised me he had managed not to rip her head from her shoulders with how effectively she was at making his blood boil.

Erik kept his words to a minimum for days until we approached the gates of his Lysian city. His horse, which was already not going fast, seemed to further slow.

I'm sorry that your trip home has left you in such a dark mood," he said finally, his voice low and gentle. It was the first genuine attempt at conversation from him since we began our journey back. I glanced briefly at Edda and Kole, who were pretending not to hear, though their bickering had abruptly ceased, a telltale sign that they were listening.

I considered not responding, but the words spilled out anyway. "It wasn't the trip itself. It was the increased risk my people are now facing because of Edda's 'wise' idea and your agreement with it. That's what soured my mood."

He exhaled heavily, his breath brushing against my cheek. "If there was a better way, then I would have taken it."

There was a better way. His words only grated on my nerves. I clenched my jaw, gritting my teeth to avoid speaking without considering my words carefully.

"Do you think I'm working with the Sidhe?" I asked, my tone sharp.

He paused briefly before responding, "I do not know."

I stared at the horse's ears in front of me, refusing to turn and look at Erik. "That is not what I asked. You very well may never truly know the answer, given your inclination to mistrust. I did not ask what you could prove, but what do you think? What way do you lean?"

There was a moment of silence before he spoke again. "No, I don't think you are," he admitted, the surprise evident in his tone.

"Then you have a better way," I said bitterly.

"Ariana, I-"

"I understand that I'm your prisoner here, with zero power," I interrupted, frustration bubbling within me. "But if you have any shred of kindness in your heart, could you please just stop and leave me alone? Before I lose what sliver of sanity I still cling to?"

Erik's hands tightened around the reins, and the horse picked up the pace. The heat of his body behind me warmed me despite the clothing separating us. He did not say another thing as we quickly approached the stables.

Once we got there, Erik immediately dismounted and left without a word to any of us.

"Help me down," Edda commanded and Kole cringed, though he held out his hand to her. He unfastened his fingers from hers as soon as her feet touched the earth. It was as if he could hardly bear to touch her.