E L E V E N - Ariana

The last thing I remembered was looking up at the star-speckled night sky

The last thing I remembered was looking up at the star-speckled night sky. The stone floor of the balcony was cool against my skin, yet I did not feel cold. It was as if the night sky covered me in a blanket of darkness that felt strangely safe.

I eventually fell asleep, for I woke in my bed still dressed in the clothing worn yesterday. Erik or Kole must have moved me from the balcony.

I frowned, for they touched me without my knowing.

Light seeped in through the window. Golden strands of it filtered through in bright rays, landing on the wooden floor, warming it wherever touched. Nothing in the room seemed out of place, even the bag I had brought from home still lay in a chair, appearing untouched by any other than myself.

The door to my room was shut, and I wondered whether I was locked in.

Rising out of bed, I made my way to the door. My hand hesitated over the knob for a heartbeat before trying it. The door creaked open, and I nearly sighed in relief.

Kole sat in a chair, staring in my direction. The sight of him gave me a start and I jumped, nearly falling backward had my hand not still been on the door handle for support. It was creepy. Who stared like that?

"Do you ever sleep?" I squeaked the question, my heart somersaulting with surprise.

His lip quirked up, undoubtedly hearing the sudden galloping in my chest.

"Hardly. And I'm terribly bored. Care to go for a walk?" He asked and I could have leaped for joy at the invitation. Was I ever ready to get out of that lovely prison of a room? Yes, I certainly was.

"Just let me get changed." I closed the door, splashed water on my face, and put on some clean clothing, the last of what I brought from home.

The time for collecting information was finally upon me, and I was about to have a tour guide for assistance. Everything was perfect. Focusing on the possibilities of where I may get to explore, a smile found its way to my lips.

The empty feeling from last night still lingered in the shadows of my mind. However, it was largely pushed to the side, no longer holding me in its grip. I focused on the task at hand, to gather as much information as I could on the Lysians. The rest did not matter and so I held those thoughts in the shadows, keeping them from stepping into the light and being fully observed.

When I emerged once more from my room, Kole rose to his feet with ease. He shifted as if stretching out stiff muscles before leading me through the halls of the building. Once outside, he led me through the streets, which earned me curious and at times ugly looks from the Lysians who did not trust outsiders. With the stories Bavadrins told of the Lysians, I could only imagine what they must have told themselves of us.

Kole picked up his pace to a brisk walk, placing me on the verge of a jog. I hoped to get a better sense of the immediate surroundings, but Kole guided me through and away from the densely populated areas until we were at the edge of the woods.