T W E N T Y S I X - Erik

The breeze felt wonderful against my skin

The breeze felt wonderful against my skin. Crisp night air settled over the land with a chilled edge. It aroused the senses without causing discomfort as if revitalizing. I longed for the open night sky, seeking it out to get away from the Bavadrin mass inside. Not that I cared what they thought of me, but being the object of silent attention was draining. They all stole glances, eyes filled with a mixture of fear and hate. Their whispers were no better. My senses were buzzing with the desire to shut them all up, and so I left. Allowing myself a few seconds of peace and quiet before returning.

"Alright, there is a step here. Be careful." Iver's voice snagged my attention to where he exited the building out of a side door.

"I know there is a step, little Lysian." Ariana replied warmly, leaning on my brother for support.

"What's going on?" I approached them in a few quick strides. Ariana swayed at the sight of me, surprise widening her eyes as if my presence was completely unexpected.

Iver turned towards me, a mischievous glint in his eyes. "This little princess has officially been hit by the magic juice. We were just getting some fresh air."

Green eyes slid to him. "This little Lysian has officially been appointed as my guard."

He chuckled. "Calling me little does not make you taller."

"I could say the same for you... little Lysian." She smirked to herself as if proud of her reply. For someone who usually maintained a high level of control over her responses to her surroundings, this was amusing. The easy smile on her lips, the warmth in her gaze. She felt reachable. Less hidden.

"Iver, go find Edda. I'll stay with Ariana." I stepped up to them, my hand sliding around her waist before she leaned her weight onto me, even as she said, "Not mean Edda."

"You know, Kole calls her a wrinkled onion." Iver took a step away once released from her.

Ariana's eyes grew momentarily large before she tipped her head back and laughed. It surged up like a pure and clear spring, captivating and contagious. A melody of pure joy wrapped around her and the two Lysians with her. I couldn't help but smile.

Iver laughed lowly, looking at her before turning to me. "I think I like her like this."

With control regained from the laughter, Ariana narrowed her gaze in feigned irritation. "Hey. I am always likable." She flicked her hand out before her, waving him off. "Better go do what your King demands and..." Her lips curved up. "Get that wrinkled onion." Another giggle burst out of her. "Oh Spirit, Edda is going to love this one."

"I'll return with the old one," Iver said with a grin before disappearing back into the building.

"How are you feeling?" I asked Ariana once we were alone, my arm still around her waist, feeling the warmth of her against me.