O N E - Erik

The guard stood before me, a silent sentinel amidst the dimly lit dungeon

The guard stood before me, a silent sentinel amidst the dimly lit dungeon. He might have been mistaken for a lifeless statue if not for the steady thud of his heartbeat and the faint scent of sweat clinging to him in this suffocating stone enclosure. Unlike his talkative comrades, this particular Bavadrin did not offer a word.

His silence, a rare occurrence among his kind, hinted at a mind that functioned beyond mere idle chatter. Though I suspected it to be a small intellect, it was a brain of a Bavadrin nonetheless.

With a deliberate glare, I turned my full attention to him, a mixture of boredom and curiosity pushing me to test his reactions. My lip curled, revealing the sharp canines beneath, a wordless threat hanging in the air. Yet, despite my attempts to unsettle him, his heartbeat remained steadfast, his demeanor unwavering. The fool believed himself safe on the other side of these bars, unaware that I allowed them to confine me here, allowed them to continue drawing breath.

With a huff of frustration, I stretched out on the hard stone bed, closing my eyes to the darkness that surrounded me.

Time passed, marked only by the slow, methodical rhythm of my own breathing. It was the voice of the previously mute guard that jolted me from my sleep, though he did not speak to me directly.

"You should not be here," his voice carried a stern edge of disapproval.

"It's fine," a female voice responded, her tone confident but betrayed by the quickening pulse that I could almost taste in the air.

The guard offered no reply, yet his own heartbeat quickened ever so slightly, a sign of unease in the face of this unexpected visitor. While he may not have feared for himself, he seemed concerned for her.

Footsteps approached until they halted at the edge of my cage. The newcomer made no sound as she stood there, no doubt observing me. A scent of wildflowers wafted from her, a stark contrast to the dungeon's dank odor. I wondered if her nose stung from the acrid stench of this place.

Minutes passed in silence as her gaze wandered over me, a hot coal on my skin. Interest piqued, I finally opened my eyes to meet hers, sitting up to face the Bavadrin girl.