Chapter 45 - Hold Up Sparky

Start from the beginning

It took about 10 minutes for Derek to fill up the fuel tank and pay for it. When he got back in the car he handed me the ice coffee and a straw. He also got one for himself, but 30 seconds after he had opened it the bottle was empty.

“You’ll get the hick-ups.”

A smile spread across his lips, “Never had them.”

“That’s not fair.”

“You’ll never get them again.”

“That doesn’t change the past. I had to sit through an hour maths exam last year and they never went away. The teacher was on the verge of putting me in another room.” Derek’s smile turned into a small laugh as we pulled up outside the station. I had to crawl over the seats to get into the back so Isaac could get in.

“A four door car never occurred to you?”

“I didn’t have a pack when I bought it and it goes faster.”

“Of course it does.” We finally got to the vets.

“What’s he doing here?” Scott asked looking at Isaac when he greeted us.

“I need him.” Derek said.

“I don’t trust him.” Scott said.

“Yeah, well he doesn’t trust you either.” Isaac said casually strolling past him.

“And Derek really doesn’t care. Now where’s the Vet? Is he gonna help us or not?”

“That depends. Your friend Jackson, are we planning to kill him or save him?” A new voice said entering the room, revealing Deaton.

“Kill him.”

“Save him.” Derek and Scott both said at the same time. They looked at each other. Derek rolled his eyes and Scott turned back to Deaton. “Save him.”

Deaton nodded and led us into the next room. He pulled down a row of jars filled with who the hell knows what. Isaac reached for one, but his hand was grabbed by Derek. “Watch what you touch.” He said.

Isaac leaned down onto the table and looked back up at Deaton. “So, what are you some kind of witch?” I could tell that a grin was plastered over his face.

“No, I’m a veterinarian. Unfortunately I don’t see anything here that is going to be a defence against a paralytic toxin.”

“We’re open to suggestions.” Derek said.

“What about an affective offense?” Isaac asked.

“We already tried. I almost took its head off and Argent emptied an entire clip into it. The thing just gets back up.” Derek said explaining to Deaton.

“Has it shown any weaknesses?”

“One. It can’t swim.”

“Does that go for Jackson as well?”

“No.” Scott said.

Finishing his sentence for him I said, “He’s the captain of the swim team.”

“Essentially you’re trying to catch two people.” Deaton said and moved over to a draw and pulled out a coin shaped object. “A puppet and a puppeteer.” He placed the object down on the table.

“Are you saying that the Kanima’s only weaknesses are those of its master?” I asked.

“Yes. One killed the husband, but the other had to kill the wife.” He said referring to the two recent victims that it killed the other night. The wife was smothered in the hospital after her husband’s death. She was almost nine months pregnant. “Do we know why?” Deaton continued.

“I don’t think Jackson could do it.” Scott chimed in. “His mother died pregnant too and she was maybe murdered, I don’t think he could let the same thing happen to someone else.”

“How do you know it’s not part of the rules?” Isaac asked. “The Kanima kills murders. If Jackson kills the wife then the baby dies too.”

“Does that mean your father was a murderer?” I asked.

“Wouldn’t surprise me if he was.”

“Hold on. The book says they’re bonded right?” Deaton asked looking at Derek who nodded. “What if whatever affects its master affects the Kanima.” he said sprinkling a black dust around the coin. I think it was called mountain ash.

“Meaning what?” asked Isaac.

“Meaning we can catch them – both of them.” Said Scott.

“Yes, but we don’t know who the Kanima master is.” I added.

“Well there can’t be many people who don’t know how to swim. I suggest you start there.” Said Deaton.

Suddenly Matt came to my mind – he couldn’t swim and Stiles’ words the other day about how it could be him flew through my mind. I felt my heart rate increase. Derek noticed and looked at me, but I don’t think Isaac or Scott did. Derek was staring at me and he knew I had an idea, but I couldn’t say it. It couldn’t be Matt. I took a deep breath and my heart rate started to slow down again. Derek finally looked away, but I didn’t think I had heard the end of this.

Derek dropped me off first than left with Isaac. As I was getting ready for bed I kept thinking about Matt. Stiles was right – it did go back to the video and Matt was at the pool that night, he was in the library, he was going to be at the rave and he couldn’t swim, but I refused to believe it. I shoved the thoughts out of my mind and went to sleep.