𝐹𝑜𝑢𝑟|𝑌𝑒𝑎𝑟 5

DADA and detentions

"Harry hated seeing her like that, in pain, but he couldn't do anything about it."

3rd person pov

Y/n, Ann,Blaise and Draco were walking towards their first DADA class of the year with their new teacher.

"How do you think the new teacher will be like?" asked Ann

"I dont have high expectations to be honest" answered Y/n

"Same here" agreed Blaise "Our DADA teachers werent the best if you think about it"

"Maybe we should try being more positive." said Draco as they stepped into the classroom and immediately saw some people playing with a paper bird who was flying gracefully in the air. Draco sat next to Pansy, Ann and Blaise sat together at the desk in front of them and Y/n went over and sat with Hermione.

"Morning Mione"

"Morning" said Hermione smiling at the girl next to her

"Bring it over here. Over here!"

"Oh, go on, Seamus! Go on, get it!" exclaimed Dean as Seamus hit the bird. It flew around the classroom, being hit a few times until it was right above the Patil twin's desk where it got set onto flames and dropped on the desk.

"Good morning, children." the new teacher said as she entered the classroom and lowering her wand and making words appear on the board.

"Ordinary Wizarding Level examinations. More commonly known as OWLs. Study hard and you will be rewarded. Fail to do so, and the consequences may be severe." she explained.

"Your previous instruction in this subject has been disturbingly uneven.
B

ut you'll be pleased to know," she waved her wand and the stack of books that sat on the desk now started floating and passing each student a book "from now on... you will be following a carefully structured, Ministry-approved... course of defensive magic."

As Y/n and Hermione were looking through their books Y/n noticed Hermione lift her hand into the air.

"Yes?"

"There's nothing in here about using defensive spells?" Hermione asked

"Using spells?" asked Professor Umbridge looking shocked. "Well, I can't imagine why you would need to use spells in my classroom."

"We're not gonna use magic?" asked Ron starting at the book which looked something like a drawing book for children.

"You'll be learning about defensive spells in a secure, risk-free way." explained Umbridge

"What use is that? If we're attacked, it won't be risk-free." said Harry

"Students will raise their hands when they speak in my class. It is the view of the Ministry... that a theoretical knowledge will be sufficient... to get you through your examinations... which, after all, is what school is all about."

"And how's theory supposed to prepare us for what's out there?"asked Y/n, now joining the conversation.

"There is nothing out there, dear." said Umbridge in a fake sweet voice
"