After dinner, she called Ryaen to say that she would have the cuttings ready for him the following day. He looked surprised and relieved. "My lady, I am so glad my request didn't anger or offend you," he said. "When Tassan whispered it in my ear I thought he was joking, but then he pushed me out onto the carpet and I had to go forward."

"Oh, well if it wasn't your idea then perhaps you don't really want them," Sabrina said, taken aback.

"No, my lady, I do, very much! I had said so to Tassan earlier, but I was afraid to ask you for such a precious gift. I've seen his studies of the roses, and my people are great horticulturists. I'll be a hero at home for bringing in a new plant." He grinned. "I guess Tassan was right and I shouldn't have been afraid to ask."

"You should never be afraid to ask me for anything, Citizen. No one should. That's my job," Sabrina told him. "Come tomorrow and I'll have the cuttings for you."

"Thank you, my lady. Your gift will never be forgotten among the Tree Citizens."

Sabrina signed off, then jumped up. "Darice! I'm going up to the conservatory."

"Yes, ma'am," Darice replied, joining her in the hallway.

"Wait down here, please, Darice," Sabrina said as they reached the spiral staircase leading to the conservatory. Light spilled down from above, and they could smell paint.

"Yes, ma'am," Darice replied, after conferring briefly with Control.

Sabrina made her way up the stairs with more dignity than haste. Tassan was in the midst of packing away his painting supplies and covering his canvas, and he nearly dropped a handful of brushes as he bowed in greeting. "My lady, I am sorry, I did not know you planned to be here tonight."

"You," she said, putting her hands on her hips, "have been keeping an eye on me."

He frowned, perplexed at the idiom. "My lady?"

"Don't 'my lady' me. You've been watching out for me. My Father asked me not to go to Bathir last night. I asked him where he'd heard such an idea, and he said he got it from Darice. But Darice wasn't in the Citizens Council meeting. But I know you talked to her later that day because she made a point of telling me you would be up here that night."

He spread his hands. "I fail to see what you are accusing me of."

"No, you don't," she retorted. "And I just found out you put Ryaen Blaisop up to that petition today."

Tassan smiled a little. "I do have to admit to that, I suppose. He desperately wanted to ask but was afraid to."

"Yes, but it also had the effect of rescuing me from a dismal ending of my first Petition Day."

"A fortuitous circumstance, but not my intention."

She narrowed her eyes at him and cocked her head. "Lying to the Regent is grounds for treason."

He laughed, and she relented, smiling a little. "Come now," he said, "I've already told you I don't worry about you, won't flatter you, and am mostly using your acquaintance to gain access to the roses. What else do I need to say to be acquitted of anything beyond the rather distant respect that is proper between two people in our widely varying stations in life?"

Sabrina laughed. "Respect! All I've ever had from you is disrespect, Citizen Nikolar! Lucky for you I find it refreshing."

He gave a mock bow. "I am here to serve."

"How odd, I thought you were here to paint. Which reminds me, I'm a little peeved at not being the first to see your rose studies. Citizen Blaisop says he's already seen them, whereas I've not even had a peek."