Chapter 58 (quetwi-dak): Inventions

Start from the beginning

Then Piacho looked down directly at her, and smiled. Yes, he was watching.

It was then that everyone had launched into the song. The sound was muffled, as most people were wearing masks, or at least stick-on smiles. When Liana first arrived in the hall, she noticed these things on people's faces, and suddenly understood what it was she had been making. Stick-on smiles. Somewhere else they must have been making full-face coverings. The people of Bartyronis could not ensure that they would wear a smile on their face – essential for a Festival of Happiness – unless that smile had been manufactured somewhere, and sold to them.

The full face-coverings – masks, like Liana and Herago were wearing – were, of course, more expensive. They were essential for Liana and Herago, because showing their darker skin in Bartyronis would be enough to get them arrested. They were uncomfortable, but had the advantage that they meant Liana and Herago didn't have to join in with the singing.

Once the song was over, and people sat down again, Liana looked at Sleech and Tyro. Tyro was actually rather small. Yet the throne he sat on was enormous; he seemed like a little doll on a big chair.

All the pictures Liana had ever seen of Tyro had made him seem gigantic – always bigger than the people around him. But here was this little man on this big, big throne, with his legs too short to touch the ground. And there was a familiar look in Tyro's eyes that Liana couldn't recognise at first, it was so unexpected. Then she realised that she had seen that look many times. It was a look of fear.

Tyro's frightened eyes scanned the whole of the hall, finally looking directly at Liana. Liana looked over at Sleech, who she saw was also looking at her.

Definitely, she had seen Sleech in her dreams. And he had known that she had seen him. She realised this now.

Then Tyro spoke. Liana had heard Tyro's voice many times before, on headphones and through all sorts of speaking machines in public places. But the voice that now emerged from Tyro's lips had none of the confident, commanding tones that Liana expected. It was hoarse and hesitant, and seemed to be having difficulty finding the right words.

'Erm ... thank you Sleech, 'Tyro began. 'As you say, this is a very... a very... a very... erm ...'

'Happy?' said Sleech.

'Yes, yes. That is the word. Of course. A very happy day for all of us. We have all been... been... We have been doing that thing – what is it called, Sleech?'

'That thing, Great Tyro?' Sleech smiled, but looked worried.

'Yes, yes. That thing. They do. When people are... Happy. That thing. We read about it...'

'Celebrating?'

'Yes, yes. We have all been celebrating here in Bartyronis, and all over the world. And now, our celebrations reach their peak, as we see the achievements that our happy people have... have... what have they, Sleech?'

'Achieved?' Sleech ventured.

'What? Achieved? Yes, I suppose so. The achievements have been achieved. The inventions have been invented. It only remains for the inventors to... to... to what, Sleech?'

'To show their inventions, O mighty one.'

'Yes. To do that. As we all know. In the front row we have inventors. At least, that is what I have been told, but...' Tyro crooked his finger for Sleech to come close. Tyro whispered in Sleech's ear, and the two of them looked over to where Liana and Herago were sitting. Liana could just hear the words 'children' coming from Tyro's lips, and the great ruler now looked angry and puzzled, as well as frightened. But if he was frightened, how much more frightened should she be? Liana could sense Herago's body stiffening. But although Liana knew that she had good reason to be frightened, she actually felt quite calm.