forty-four

Naomi Black

Naomi Black

"Matti, I can't sleep." I spoke as I turned to face him. I was wrapped up in his arms, making it hard for me to move. He let out a chuckle, "Neither can I." His eyes staring at me. It felt like when he looked at me, his gaze was looking into my soul.

"Thank you." I spoke and cuddled deeper into his chest. "For what?" He asked. I sighed, "You're here with me now—aren't you?" I respond and his grip tightens around me.

"I would swim oceans for you," He mumbled into my hair.

It was round three in the morning. After a long night of talking and planning things for my grandparents we headed for bed around two. No funeral, no showing, and they were getting cremated—I wanted to take them with me so they could see me leave this joke of a life I lived.

"Tell me about your mom and dad." He speaks as I chuckle. My fingers find their way to his bare chest and I trace circles. "That street corner and parking garage I took you to in Pittsburgh," I spoke as he nodded. "My mom was on the corner that night selling herself as a prostitute outside of her stripclub. My dad couldn't resist." He listened to me as I spoke.

"The pictures on the mantel, is that her?" He asked in reference. I perked up, "Yeah, she was a total smokeshow," I spoke as he nodded. "You look a lot like her." He responded as I scoffed.

"Yeah right," I said. He chuckled, "You're telling me you look more like your dad than your mom?" He asks as I shrug. "My mom found out she was pregnant when she missed her period. My dad claimed she poked holes in the condom, but I doubt she did. When she found out she was pregnant, she was able to get ahold of him after a while. He brought her to coaches office actually, and he tried to get her to have an abortion." He raised his eyebrows.