twenty-one

It was like the world stopped for a few minutes after Matti dropped me off from his place. It felt like that because we both came to terms with the fact that hating each other is just not the most ideal situation for both of us.

We'd rather be somewhat together than apart.

We weren't dating, but we weren't putting a label on it.

And the bond we were forming at this moment was unstoppable. Since we had a come to Jesus moment the other morning, we have been inseparable ever since. The only time we weren't texting or hanging out with each other was when he was on the field. And I've learned that he is on the field a lot.

Flashforward to today, Saturday, October 5th, the girls and I are packed into the fancy white SUV that could probably pay off my student loans if we were to cash it in. It was game day and we were just about thirty minutes from Pittsburgh.

Most of the drive consisted of fields, Amish, and mountains.

That is what PA was made of though.

"For the love of GOD Sloane, please put the pedal to the metal baby, this thong is tearing apart my crack right now!" Finn whined as Nat and I laughed. For the last two hours, Sloane was in the driver's seat while Nat was in the passenger. Finn and I were in the back.

"Just pull it out! It's not that hard!" Sloane bitched back at her. Sloane was driving very slow, but I don't blame her. If I was driving a car this fancy I would be too. My car back at home was a 2001 Toyota Corolla named Cindy.

Cindy was a fucking tank.

I checked my phone for the time and it was currently 7:30 in the morning. The game started at noon. Getting everyone out of the apartment and packed was a shitshow. We had to turn around twice because Nat and Finn both forgot something. I slept for a good quarter of the drive but now I was wide awake.

And so was a certain Mr. Williams.

Matti had left yesterday at noon from Happy Valley to embark on his ride to Pittsburgh. But he didn't leave without saying goodbye first. We went to Starbucks and got a coffee—well I got a coffee. Matti doesn't drink coffee because he likes healthy shit.

I have learned a lot about him since. Like his favorite kind of pasta was Fettuccine Alfredo. Ice cream and Chikfila are his guilty pleasures. I also learned that Blake and he met in second grade at an elementary training camp.

But since the moment he left, he was either texting me or snapchatting me.

"I'm not even going to ask why you're smiling at your phone like an idiot Black," Finn says to me as I look up from my phone. I laugh, "I have no idea what you're inquiring about."

Matti sent me a good morning text.

"I think we all know why she's smiling at her phone!" Sloane giggles while Nat claps. "So missy, what is now happening with you and Mr. NFL?" Nat turns and faces the entire car while asking her question.