·  ·  ·  · 𝙏𝙒𝙀𝙉𝙏𝙔

THREE HOURS BEFORE
THE INVASION

   "Where is that idiot now?" An exasperated sigh left the boy's parted lips as he paced back and forth. He curled his fingers inward to form a loose fist and brought it up to his mouth, gently biting down on the knuckle of his index finger.

See, usually you'd ask for permission to wander off on your own but today you had vanished without a single word. The last person who saw you was Sasha but she was too busy slipping into her uniform to even question you. But that was nearly five hours ago.

Connie stretched his arms out in front of him letting out a loud yawn. He draped his arm over his friends shoulders, playfully pounding at the right side of his chest. "The wrinkles in your face just become more evident when you stress like that. Be careful, they might permanently stay there and you'll end up aging faster than the rest of us."

Soft fits of laughter erupted from the group at Connie's comment. At that, Jean shot him a cold glare with the skin between his eyebrows creasing. Connie raised one hand up in defense and quickly peeled himself off of his friend.

"Oh come on, friend! Crack a smile or something! That grimace on your face is unsettling." Connie snorted quietly in an attempt to earn some sort of reaction from Jean. However, Jean just shook his head disapprovingly and brushed past him.

"Connie," Sasha lifted her gaze up from the gun she was polishing to look at her soulmate. "don't you need to get ready? If you mess up Captain Levi will surely kick your ass." The corner of her mouth turned up to form a lazy smile.

Connie's lower lip jutted out to a small pout as he flicked his gaze over to his best friend. "Sheesh alright!" He threw both hands up in the air completely defeated before walking over to the other side of the room to rummage through his own stuff. Stuff he still had to touch up on.

   This was the spot. Exactly three years ago you sat here, all smiles and filled with so much joy. Fortunately the field was completely desolate. They were all too busy preparing for the Tybur's speech that was to take place tonight. That idiot was going to declare war through some sort of stage act.

You retreated back to this spot one last time knowing that it would be destroyed by tonight. You wouldn't be able to return here, ever. If you had told the rest that you wanted to stroll around Liberio a little more they would've surely said no. Especially today since it was finally happening.

You seated yourself on the surface beneath you, crossing your legs over one another. You took a moment to appreciate the scenery one last time. From the way the grass swayed in the subtle breeze to the vibrancy of everything surrounding you.

Life itself was far too beautiful to be this cruel.

That feeling of calmness was suddenly interrupted by a voice that made the little hairs on the back of your head stand up. Breath caught in your throat, you froze in your spot refusing to even offer him a single glance.

"So they weren't kidding, it really was you." The blond breathed out, shoving his hands inside the pockets of his white coat. One end up his lips shooting up into a crooked smile of disbelief. "How am I supposed to forget about you now that you're right here? Why did you come back?"

You felt your heart flutter at the sound of his voice. An overwhelming wave of sadness contorted on your face. You inhaled sharply and bit down on your lip feeling the tears rush to your eyes.