·  ·  ·  · 𝙏𝙀𝙉

Now that you've finally discovered the truth, it was easier to breathe for yourself. Even if the truth was painful, a heavy burden was lifted off your shoulders. You were glad that your memories were becoming whole. No matter how much your heart-ached after finding out the truth, you wouldn't stop loving Reiner because what he had done couldn't be undone. You had fallen too deep to let go of him.

"You're so deep in your own head." Reiner commented after staring at you for a while, studying your expression. He sat by the windowsill with a newspaper in hand.  "I know, after everything that's happened you must have a lot in your mind. It must be disconcerting for you."

It was slightly unsettling. But you would learn how to cope with the way things were because you wanted to live in the present and now dwell on the past any further. You flashed him a small smile, shaking your head. "Oh will you stop that? You hurt me every time you worry. I thought that was the last thing you wanted to do to me."

He frowned, placing his gaze on the floor. "I'm sorry. I can't help it. It's normal for a person to worry about their girlfriend right?"

"There's no wrong doing in that. But just don't over-do it." You curled your knees in front of him and softly pinched his cheek. "I'd rather worry for someone rather than have another worry over me."

You extended your legs just a bit to peck his cheek before standing up completely. For a moment you had completely forgotten about the meeting you had scheduled with Zeke Jaeger today. You didn't inform Reiner about it, worrying that it would only concern him even more.

Shortly after breakfast both you and Reiner went your separate ways. At first Reiner was hesitant on letting you walk around on your own but you had convinced him that you were meeting with an acquaintance. It took a full ten minutes for him to finally agree. You both shared a short sweet kiss before going off to your own activities for the day.

Reiner was on his way to meet with the little warriors and you were on your way to meet with Yelena before heading to Zeke's office together. You clutched your tote bag, walking in a straight line with your eyes aimed down at the cobblestone.

It was a bright sunny day in Liberio. Not a cloud in the sky could be seen. A slight breeze was common as the Ocean was just right there. Everyone seemed to be in a cheerful mood around you. You were snapped out of your own thoughts after feeling yourself run into what you thought was a wall.

You raised your gaze and stumbled back, a bit surprised that it wasn't a wall you had run into. It was Yelena herself with her hands resting on her hips. "I'm so sorry." You apologized with your lips curving downwards.

Yelena released a light chuckle and patted the top of your head. "You're alright Y/N. But you need to keep your eyes off the ground, you could seriously get hurt if you aren't careful."

"Yes ma'am!"

"Good girl." She grinned. Yelena stepped out of your way and stood beside you, giving your body a slight push to urge you to continue walking. "So tell me Y/N, how's things going for you and Reiner?"

You walked slowly beside her to match her pace, burying one hand in your pocket. A light tint of red appeared on your cheeks at the thought of your relationship with Reiner and how it's been going fairly well despite a few obstacles.

"Good. Like.. really good surprisingly." You smiled to yourself, revisiting the memory of Reiner holding you close to his chest that night he showed you just how much he really loved you.

Yelena bobbed her head once and pressed her lips into a thin line. "I'm assuming by now you know the truth." Her tone quickly turned serious.

"I know." You replied quietly. "I understand why he tried to hide it from me though. He didn't want to lose me... but despite loving him this much.. I still want to go home."

"You don't consider Liberio your home?" Yelena raised her eyebrows.

You shook your head, experiencing a slight pang of guilt. "There might be people waiting for me to return.. surely not all of them think I'm dead. There has to be someone waiting for me." A hint of doubt laced through your voice.

"What will you do if there isn't?" She was asking the real questions. Questions that would make your decision to leave even harder.

"Leaving this place would be for the best. Reiner needs to focus on his job as a warrior here rather than waste his time with me." You sucked in a deep breath with tears stinging your eyes. "He has duties to carry out and I'm just going to get in the way."

Yelena nodded, finally putting a halt to her questions. "You're a smart girl Y/N. You knowing your relationship would eventually come to an end.. you're so strong." She placed her hand on your back, rubbing small comforting circles with her thumb.

A bitter smile curved on your lips. "I'm going to destroy our happiness.. isn't that selfish?"

"No." Yelena's dark hues was focused on you as you walked. "It's going to be better this way.. eventually you'd be punished if they found out the truth about you." She lowered her voice to ensure only you could hear her voice.

"You'd put Reiner and everyone you've made friends with under questioning too. Surely you don't want that, right?" She shoved her hands in her pockets, heaving a heavy sigh.

You nibbled on your lower lip and mentally slapped yourself to come to your senses. "That's exactly why I need to get out of here as soon as I can."

Your four-thirty appointment had finally arrived. You and Yelena sat in the War Chief's office in almost complete silence. After every five minutes of silence Yelena would try to make conversation by telling you about how she had met Zeke.

"Y/N, I'm sure you vaguely remember how I look like considering how I've only met with you when you had just woken up." The blond stroked his beard, looking at you with interest. He then exhaled softly taking out a stack of papers. Your name was printed in bold on it.

Your hands unconsciously gravitated towards the paper. "What is this?"

"Everything we know about you, we've written on paper. We tried to be as detailed as possible but asking Reiner of this was already suspicious enough so we did all we could to squeeze every bit of information out of him without giving any subtle hints about our plans for you."

"Plans?" Your hands froze in place. You looked at him with a spark of curiosity in your e/c irises. "You've been planning this ever since I woke up?"

"In a few months time, I will be embarking on a trip back to Paradis with people who directly work under me. We'll tell everyone here that you're to be used as bait for the people on Paradis if they don't cooperate with what we want."

That crazy idea of his made your stomach churn in fear. How do you know you could trust this man? You barely even knew him. But he was your only ticket out of here without getting punished.

"So spend as much time as possible with Reiner in these next few months because you'll have to let go of his hand soon." He pushed his spectacles up. "This is how the way things should be Y/N."

authors note;
i got so nervous writing this
chapter because i don't know how
many of you will agree with y/n's decision.
it's not an unreasonable decision, nor
is it selfish. so please bare with me a little more!
the climax is yet to come.