·  ·  ·  · 𝙎𝙄𝙓

TWO MONTHS LATER

   "Reiner." Zeke carefully wrapped his finger around the handle of the porcelain teacup. He brought it up to his face, inhaling the strong aroma through his nostrils. "Your intentions, what were they?"

Reiner's shoulders tensed up at his question. He frowned, "My intentions were to protect her."

A dry laugh escaped his lips. "Protect her? You're only going to destroy her once she finally connects the dots."

He tightly curled his fingers into a fist, shutting his eyes. "I know."

"You've taken up that title of being a monster to the very next level Reiner. Bringing her into your mess should have never happened." Zeke exhaled, feeling the slightest bit of pity for you.

Reiner's forehead wrinkled with frustration. "I'm fucking insane." He chuckled, raising the palm of his hand to his face.

   It was a gloomy late evening in Liberio. The soft pattering noise of rain falling on your window was enough to make you drowsy. Not even the stars came out to play, the streets were emptied of people. William was stuck at the clinic for the night because of a infectious cold that was circulating around Liberio.

"Aren't you cold?" Reiner sat on your bed behind you, snaking his arms around your waist. He rested his chin on your shoulder.

Reiner was clingier than usual tonight. Usually he'd sit by the windowsill and watch you read for a while, waiting for you to fall asleep so he could cradle your smaller frame in his arms as you slept. Tonight that wasn't the case. There was a heavy burden on his shoulders and whenever you'd ask about his meeting with Zeke, he'd grow quiet.

"No," You replied softly, softly running your fingers through his hair. "Why do you ask?"

He released a heavy sigh. "I'm cold. So don't move okay?"

You nodded in response and smiled awkwardly. "Sure."

For the next few hours you couldn't get your mind off of Reiner. For the last two months everything was fine, he was getting better. You were getting better. Each night didn't feel so long whenever he was around, those nightmares happened less frequently.

"You don't have to go through it alone," Your words were almost inaudible.

You slowly slipped out of his arms and turned around to face him. He drew his head back and looked at you. His shoulders sunk. A small frown appeared on his face.

"Will I have to scold you every time Reiner?" You sat on your knees, crossing your arm over your chest. "I told you time and time again. You can be honest with me. Even if it hurts me, I know it won't kill me."

You say that now. "I'm sorry." Reiner wore an apologetic look on his face, "I don't think I can tell you."

Your heart cracked at his response. It was painful to know how you laid all your trust in him but he still didn't fully trust you. Nonetheless you were understanding, maybe this was something far too personal.

You bobbed your head and wrapped your arms around his neck. "I understand." You pressed a gentle kiss onto his forehead. "You can tell me when you're ready."