·  ·  ·  · 𝙉𝙄𝙉𝙀

*WARNING! SLIGHT
MENTION OF SUIC*DE*

He's not an enemy. He's a survivor.

That's what you told yourself repeatedly, over and over again until you grew short on breath. Whatever sins he may have committed, you were prepared to hear them. You were prepared to understand him. No matter how much it was going to hurt, you wouldn't turn your back on him because he himself was a victim.

The truth was slowly unraveling itself before your very eyes.

It had been weeks since you had talked to Reiner. You even locked yourself in your room for days on end, only going out to use the bathroom and cleanse yourself. William would leave food at your doorstep but you wouldn't eat. You felt like if you did everything would just surge back up. You couldn't waste food like that.

Occasionally that Yelena girl would drop by, leaving notes for you. Through her words she seemed rather concerned for you. She must've been looking for you. To ask more questions.

You've had enough of being in the dark. Reiner was going to tell you what you wanted even if it would cost the happiness in your relationship with him. You didn't belong here. You belonged on an island that this place loathed.

Playing dumb for this long, it was making your brain hurt. You've known this ever since the last time you saw him. You were just fooling yourself into believing everything you saw was fake.

Once the clock struck midnight, you snuck out of the house with a shawl covering your head and face. You made your way to the residence of the Braun family. This was the only place you could think of where Reiner could be.

You knocked on the door twice before hearing it creak, behind that door was a little girl you had met a while back. Gabi Braun. The little cousin of his. She was a sweet yet stubborn little girl.

"Y/N!" She gasped, a spark emitting in her large chocolate brown eyes. "I'll go get Reiner! He's in his room probably reading something."

It was so late into the night so it was a surprise that she was the one to greet you.

A few moments later the door opened again to reveal a sluggish looking version of Reiner. His hair was completely disheveled and his eyes were sunken in due to the lack of sleep.

"Y/N.." He called your name softly, immediately wrapping his arms around your neck. He placed his hand on the back of your head, gently patting it down. "I've missed you."

Suddenly you couldn't bring yourself to tell him what you wanted. He looked exhausted and one more push would cause him to break. Reiner must have been dwelling on the idea of you possibly finding out ever since that morning he left.

You stood idly in his arms, releasing a soft sigh. "I missed you too."

"What are you doing out at this hour? Didn't William see you?" He cupped your face in his warm hands and took a good look at your face. "Are you in pain?"

"A bit.. but it's psychological pain. Not physical." You  rested your forehead on his shoulder. "I guess I was crazy enough to come sneak out to see you this late at night."

Reiner frowned after hearing about your pain. "You're still hurting. Is it because of me?" Asking that question stung him.

An expression of shock took over your face. You looked at Reiner's face and you felt your heart crack. Tears glossed over his hazel irises, his shoulders were shaking.

He already had you figured out. It all started when he realized that you were no longer comfortable in his arms. "Tell me the truth and only the truth."