CHAPTER 16

(WARNING: This part contains strong and potentially offensive languages, highly explicit and excessive sexual activity that may be offensive or disturbing and is not suitable for young readers and sensitive individuals. You have been warned.)

NAKAHALUKIPKIP at nakasanding ang kanyang likod sa upuan habang nakatingin sa kanyang dating kasintahan na nakaupo sa kanyang harapan.

Tumikhim ito at dinampot ang baso ng tubig na nasa ibabaw ng lamesa. Halos mapangalahati nito ang laman niyon.

Isang alanganing ngiti ang sumilay sa mga labi nito nang muling magtama ang kanilang mga mata. "How are you, Lucas? It's been five years..."

Ngumiti siya sa kaharap. Reassuring her that everything was alright between them. Matagal na niya itong napatawad sa ginawa nito kahit na hindi ito nanghihingi ng tawad. Habang tinititigan ito ngayon ay napatunayan niya sa kanyang sarili na totoo ng pagpapatawad niya.

Nakita niya ang pagdaan ng relief sa mga mata nito at sumilay ang totoong ngiti sa maninipis nitong mga labi. The lips he used to kiss before.

Ikinibit niya ang balikat habang nakatingin rito. "Everything's alright."

"I'm glad to hear that."

Ilang sandaling nagdaan ang katahimikan sa pagitan nilang dalawa habang nanatiling magkahinang ang kanilang mga mata. Lucas was convinced that he saw uncertainty and longingness in her steel-grey eyes.

Tanging mga mata lang siguro nito ang nakita niyang kagaya pa rin ng dati. He still could read her through her eyes.

"How are you, Lucas? I... miss you."

He sighed when he saw the expression on his ex-girlfriend's face. She was a part of his life, once in his life he had loved her. He still cares for her after all these years and he cannot stand seeing her in sadness. Her eyes were hopeful and he knew there's no hope for them. Their romantic relationship ended five years ago when she left.

"I'm married," he said and raise his left arm where his ring was. Nakita niya ang gulat at lungkot sa mga mata nito. His forehead knitted in a frown, what would she expect? That he's still single and they will start all over again?

Hindi naman siya tanga na patuloy na umasa rito gayong palagi niyang nababasa sa mga pahayagan ang tungkol sa mga lalaking napapaugnay rito. She even got engaged a year ago to an actor in Hollywood. What happened to them?

He wanted to ask her but he doesn't want to pry.

He just wanted her to know that he's married. If he sounded defensive and presumptuous, he doesn't care. He just wanted everything to be clear to her, and to himself, there's no going back.

"That's good to hear."

Lucas was a businessman and he was good at reading a person. And he can tell that his ex-girlfriend sounded bitter and dejected.

Muli nitong dinampot ang baso na may lamang tubig at halos maubos nito ang laman niyon. It must be very hard for her to face him.

Bumuntung-hininga ito at isang malungkot na ngiti ang nakabalatay sa mga labi.

"It was foolish of me to think that... we still have a chance. I'm sorry for everything, Lucas. Forgive me, I became practical and greedy."

He shrugged his shoulders. "We become greedy and practical at some point in our lives. It's all in the past, Rox, we have our lives now. I'm happy for you, maybe at some point I've loathed you for disappearing just like that, but I already forgive you. Seeing you now proves that I really did."